Thread: The Little Town of Iruck

Wip The Little Town of Iruck

Hi Guys,
    I'm new here, although I have been lurking around for a while. This is my first attempt at map making on a computer (usually I just fool around with pencil and paper). This is the map of the town of Iruck, made for my dnd campaign following the instructions in Pyrandon's medieval town map tutorial. I was really pleased how it turned out, so thanks a bunch Pyrandon. Any sort of suggestions to make it look better/more realistic would be much appreciated. Oh, and I used GIMP to make it.

And I'm not exactly sure what's going on with the several edges on the bottom right. I think it's just me being bad at layers.

Welcome to the guild Justintime.

I second what Ravs says about the map and about Pyrandon's tut. I like the map a lot.
    The rougher areas, would do well, imho, with a bit of discolouration to show they are slopes. Maybe a brown to reflect the inability of the vegetation to grow on the sloped areas. I think it would help sell the height illusion.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Also, you might want to "raise" your border level above the "trees" level so that the border on the bottom would not have trees (or tree shadows) on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    And I'm not exactly sure what's going on with the several edges on the bottom right. I think it's just me being bad at layers.
    Nice work in GIMP!

If I am not mistaken, these were created when you ran a dropshadow script-fu. They tend to cause the image canvas to increase like that. I would suggest just selecting a layer that is the size you want then clipping the entire image to that layer to get rid of it.

-Rob A>

I've noticed that Bevel and Emboss in photoshop does something similar. Erosion in bryce has it's own set of nasty artifacts around the edges. Another reason to work on a large canvas is so that you can crop off all those nasty edge effects. If only the apps didn't assume the edge of the picture fell off the edge of the world.

Nicely done! I'm honored I had any part to do with this!

I will say the contrast between the light & dark is a bit harsh; instead of hills the lowlands appear to be in complete shadow. That may be something to play with if you feel like it.

Great map! Keep 'em comin'!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Nice work, I have no GIMP knowledge so I cannot speak to any of that but your spacing and your placement of the buildings is very nicely done. I like the overall feel of the map, welcome Justintime.