Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1PDC 2011 Entry

An obvious winner! I love your ISO style, djekspek!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great map djespek as usual... love all the little details and notes .. and please let it be a gold mine
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Oh please let it be a Gold mine!! Awesome!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Bella Bella, I LOVE this style and type of map Bravo!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

everything looks so clear and vivid. I would love to see your psd. Do you use black outer glow set to overlay? to make it pop ya know?

Do you have a separate black outline layer that is basically your sketch? If so, do you duplicate that layer to make the outlines bolder and sharper? If not, do you just use 1 layer like many artists?

As others said, your work is truly inspiring.

thanks! @RJ: not much special in layers here. Going from top to bottom, the layers are:

- 1 saturation and 1 brightness adjustment layer
    - some texture layer in overlay to give some atmosphere
    - lines (when all lines are done, I draw an extra fat outline line to indicate depth, same as the optrion in sketch-up, but then handdrawn). For lines I use a square brush.
    - grid in overlay with a clipping mask to show only on floors
    - clipped on mask (below) hi-lite and shade layer set to overlay with black and white to accentuate and add extra shade for depth. This gives the real depth feel in combination with the line-work
    - clipped on mask (below) the mask I have a value layer with grey-scale values
    - mask of complete dungeon with an outer dark glow
    - background parchment

cheers, DJ

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

how come my maps have like 200 layers.

Thanks DJ. That fat outline is awesome. I didn't notice until you mentioned it, but it does add a bit of depth. you draw everything with square brush? or just that outline?

one last thing, how big and what res did you create the original? I know I've asked you that before, but I really love your style!

hehe, I had some more layers on this one but i skipped the fonts, borders, etc. in my list. My atlas-style maps have many more layers as well. As for my brush, I used to draw with rounded brush, but switched to square. Basically all linework I do with a square brush now (usually 3-6pt at 100% opcity/flow with pressure set to size). For values I use a rounded brush (and sometime the color mixer brush from CS5) at different values and opacity. For document size, I usually just make it the size I want it (like letter or A4) at 300dpi. But sometimes I create the map at 2-3x the "final-size", if I want to have some more control over details... cheers, DJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12