Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-dungeon: Small Cave System

Map Mini-dungeon: Small Cave System

My players are 90% through this now and none of them seem to frequent these parts so I thought I'd share this... Just in case it was of use to anyone else.

Props to RobA for his wonderfully simplifying Dungeon Map Maker plugin. Additional props to many others on here for all the info posted in the tutes and how-to forum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03 - 08 finale.jpg 
Views:	1722 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	34734

I'll do my best to answer any questions anyone might have.
    -doug

Very nice, and lots of fun to trace my way through like a maze. Thanks for sharing!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Cool
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quite nice. Have rep! My only "complaint" would be the fuzzy river but it still does the trick.
    M

Apologies for the delayed reply... Things have been crazy for me!

And many thanks for the kind words folks

@mearrin69
    Any thoughts on how I could improve the river? I ran out of time on this one so refining it wasn't an option. But there will be more cave rivers in future maps!
    -doug

It's a tough thing to get right and I'm no master of it...still experimenting to improve my water. My best results have come from using an invisible "template layer" the shape of my body of water. Then I'll create many layers with varying degrees of transparency over that. I've also tried several different blending modes (say for ripple shine on top or to get "caustics" underneath) and transparency masks to make the water more transparent toward the shallows.

I'm uploading some of my better examples...all use this basic technique (plus maybe some hand-painting for whitecaps and flow).
    M

[edit]Click the one with docs for a larger view...most of the others don't zoom much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	35055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	35056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	35057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	35058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	35059  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say the last 2 look great from what I can tell.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Great map and lots of fun to look at. I like the way you showed the "underpasses". Rep to thee!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Nice Map Archer. I never used GIMP but everybody here seems to be doing some really nice work with it. And thanks! ...can never have enough cave maps. PC's always through you a curve ball. Having a cave ready to go it great. Have some Rep
    "We might experience some turbulence, then explode." - Mal, Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    It's a tough thing to get right and I'm no master of it...still experimenting to improve my water. My best results have come from using an invisible "template layer" the shape of my body of water. Then I'll create many layers with varying degrees of transparency over that. I've also tried several different blending modes (say for ripple shine on top or to get "caustics" underneath) and transparency masks to make the water more transparent toward the shallows.

I'm uploading some of my better examples...all use this basic technique (plus maybe some hand-painting for whitecaps and flow).
    M

[edit]Click the one with docs for a larger view...most of the others don't zoom much.
    The first three have "drop banks" and I specifically was a fter a slippery gradual slope at the edges. Muddy and slippery and we did have some fun with that

The last two are closer to what I was after, but like I said I plain ran out of time. The one with the ship at the docs in particular is close to what I was after. What technique did you use for that? Are the white caps done with color level/curve and overlay/soft light? I think I can do somethign with that next time.

All suggestions welcome... Think I'll do some practice runs on them.

Jaxilon, Port Paladine, et al...

Thanks for the rep... But I seriously don't feel I deserve it.

Cheers!
    -doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast