Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fiction Regional Map...

Default New Fiction Regional Map...

Well I'm finishing up with college. AAS Animation/Game Design at the end of the quarter. I wanted to add some cartography work to my Portfolio. Heres the rough draft. I've had the Compass rose laying around for over a year now. Figured i wold use it finally. Let me know what you think and I'll be posting some stage updates.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like a fun layout.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Are the small mountains actually small mountains, or are they hills? I keep looking at the two sizes and thinking Big Mountains, Small Mountains.

I like that layout; very self-contained, but obviously part of a bigger whole that begs for exploration...

Big Mountains = 4,000' + (Big rocky snow covered stuff that has glaciers. Think Cascades Range rather than Rockies)
    Little Mountains = 1,000' to 3,999' (Small to larger tree covered foothills much like the Appalachian Range)

I'm working on a new set of Mountain Icons that will show the difference a bit better. Should have something up in another 6 hours or so.

Ok Big Mountains are done.
    Coastline is next.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

those are nice looking mountains.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

You should see them in High Res. I used and ink wash brush in PS CS5. Up close it beautiful.

On a side note...

MicroSoft Blows. They just ran an update and now my WACOM and Photoshop are wigging out. Can't seem to get the WACOM to recognize the second monitor when I'm working in PS. I've been trouble shooting the problem for the last 7 hours and still no luck.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wish I had some suggestions on fixing your issue, but my troubleshooting would be a matter of trying to reinstall drivers for the wacom and the vodeocard, which if you've been trying to fix for 7 hours, i would guess you've already tried. I'm using CS3 on dual monitors, but it's never given me an issue so i have no experience to share

any chance of a closeup detail to show off the mountains? they intrigue me.. and how did you get them like that?

*edit - d'oh, nevermind on the how did you do them, you already said .. so much for my amazing attention to detail!*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

OK So I have some up dates for ya'll. I ended up needed to get a new WACOM pad. The old GD is not being supported anymore. They had a patch back in November that resolved the issues that I was facing but that patch was not applied to the GB tables. Oh well. I guess 14 years is a good run on a tablet. Anyway. work has slowed a bit. I have to focus on my Soc 101 Mid terms and On getting some other work on my Portfolio and Independent Studies done. I have added some close ups of the mountains and details on my brushes. I think I might add a wet edge to this brush for later painting work. I like the water color look it gives me. Anyway, enjoy the new pics and I should be back at it by next week.

hhmmm Maybe I can scale these images down for the web next time I post........

Someone just kick me......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast