Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Fast and Easy Artistic Maps in the GIMP

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the great tutorial! It's the first one I've tried on here so far, and it was a huge help in getting my newb self started with map-making.

I... I think I love you... *snif*

Hello! This is my first post in this forum, mostly because I really needed to make a nice world map for a DnD campaign i'll be running for my friends. I only just installed the latest version of the GIMP, so I am about as new to the program as they come. This tutorial seemed simple and easy to make a nice map, and I started right away. However, as soon as I completed making my mountains brush, I ran into a problem. I went to the top left corner of the screen, clicked "Save as" and the named the brush Mountains Tall.gih, as instructed. In the Select File_Type slot, i put down Gimp brush (animated), but in the folders option, there wasn't a spot for brushes. Just pictures, documents, desktop, ect. I browsed for such a folder but could not find one. I tried making a brushes folder, but no matter what I do, the brush Mountains (Tall) does not show up in my brushes dialogue. I don't want to be a bother, and sorry if i am, but I am just really confused here. It's entirely possible I am just skipping over the neccessary step when it's right in front of me, as I am as green as they come with this program. Please help, and sorry for being so clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKoalaNxtDoor View Post
    <snip> I went to the top left corner of the screen, clicked "Save as" and the named the brush Mountains Tall.gih, as instructed. In the Select File_Type slot, i put down Gimp brush (animated), but in the folders option, there wasn't a spot for brushes. Just pictures, documents, desktop, ect. I browsed for such a folder but could not find one. <snip>
    They changed the UI for saving stuff between 5.6 and 5.8. I don't have 5.8 on the machine I'm on right now, so I can't verify this, but you might try File->Export

Quote Originally Posted by HBrown View Post
    They changed the UI for saving stuff between 5.6 and 5.8. I don't have 5.8 on the machine I'm on right now, so I can't verify this, but you might try File->Export
    I can verify this. I recently started making a map with this technique, and this worked for me. Everything else is right when it comes to animated brushes, just use Export instead of Save.

I did run into another unfortunate problem on the new version of gimp. When saving a brush as .gbr (which the author recommends for houses), only the top layer of the brush will be saved. So it's probably a better choice just to save them as .gih, or save each individual building as separate brushes.

Anyway, very helpful tutorial. I'll be posting my map once it's all finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I did run into another unfortunate problem on the new version of gimp. When saving a brush as .gbr (which the author recommends for houses), only the top layer of the brush will be saved. So it's probably a better choice just to save them as .gih, or save each individual building as separate brushes.
    That is not new. .gbr is "gimp brush" and has always only supported single images. Greyscale images will create a gimp brush where the grey level equals brush transparency, and will paint in whatever the foregound colour is. RGBA images will paint exactly as they are created.

.gih is "gimp image hose" and is the format needed to create brushes containing multiple images that vary by direction, randomly, alternately, etc. The greyscale and RGBA are as per .gbr

-Rob A>

Oh. Well, disregard my post then. I must have just misunderstood your tutorial.

I still haven't figured out the text along path problem I was having.

I have never used GIMP, or any GIMP/PS-like program, before and I found this tutorial to be extremely easy to follow. My first draft is below;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elbasan Region.pdf 
Views:	384 
Size:	4.83 MB 
ID:	50244

General pointers/advice would be welcome, specifically; I would like there to be a delta at the mouth of the river near Split, any tricks for how to make that look? Also, I'd like to indicate that there are breakers in the ocean at a couple locations, indicating shallower water. I tried to do some wavy lines like I do on my hand drawn maps, and it looked dumb, any suggestions?

I do have a follow-up for RSIxidor's problem with inserting text and curving it and having it appear as a bunch of bubbles. I had the same problem and skipped that step until going back at the very end after I'd finished everything else. While poking around with the bubbles showing I deselected the Path Tool by selecting the Brush tool, the bubbles disappeared and the text was visible. Everything else worked fine from there.
    The bubbles make it hard to see if your path is the correct length as you have to go a couple steps before you can see the text and I'm not really sure of their purpose. So, my text seems to be lopsided a bit, but that's how I got past that problem. I'm probably not going to curve my text in the future, seems like more work than it's worth.

To make a river delta you could just make the brush a bit wider at the end to make a triangular shape connected to the river. You could also draw a few smaller streams splaying out into the bay. Don't make a lot, and make sure they are very close to the beach.

Shallow water typically has a lighter color than the deeper ocean/sea. This is pretty easy if you have layers and channels for your land/sea boundary. If you have no idea what that means, don't worry, just keep trying some more tutorials on the site I went through about two dozen (including this one) before I made my first map, they are generally very helpful.

As for general pointers/advice: ease up on the mountains, put them in clusters closer together, not spread uniformly across the whole map. Try adding in some more asymetry with the land/water. Save your image as a jpg instead of a pdf

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast