Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Fast and Easy Artistic Maps in the GIMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Applicant

Tutorial [Award Winner] Fast and Easy Artistic Maps in the GIMP

I've lurked on the tutorial forums for a while, learning the tricks of the trade, and I figured I should try and give something back.

I really like the old-school style maps using not-to-scale graphical representations of objects of interest. I've adapted a number of the ideas I learned on these forums to develop a quick and easy technique for making this style map in my open source graphics software of choice, the GIMP. I wrote up a tutorial and attached it as a PDF. Running through the tutorial should take 1-2 hours (depending on your familiarity with the program) and you'll wind up with a map like the Sample map attached. Once you've got your brushes made and the technique down, you can churn out maps very quickly - the Sample map took me 15 minutes to make from a blank canvas. If you spend more time you can make much nicer maps using the same techniques.

The tutorial is written so someone completely new to GIMP can start using it to make maps. A more experienced user can easily get by with just skimming the highlights. The most important portion is the creation of the animated brushes and correctly tuning their spacing.

A caveat - these maps are not (nor are they meant to be) strictly geographically accurate. You'll notice the sample map doesn't have so much as a compass rose, let alone a scale bar. They're meant to give a general representation of an area. This is sufficient for some purposes and not for others. I use them as RPG handouts to give players an idea of their immediate area. It is of course not difficult to adapt these techniques towards the production of more accurate maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample.jpg 
Views:	10637 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	34737   Artistic Maps in GIMP.pdf  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome, yay for delurking and with a tut no less! Have some rep

Amen to that and thanks for introducing me to the creation of animated brushes in GIMP. You've just provided me with what I need for a WIP I'm toying with for a friend:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brave 3103.jpg 
Views:	3983 
Size:	909.4 KB 
ID:	34740

I'll add some rep too, although I'm sure Gidde's carries somewhat more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigon View Post
    Amen to that and thanks for introducing me to the creation of animated brushes in GIMP. You've just provided me with what I need for a WIP I'm toying with for a friend:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brave 3103.jpg 
Views:	3983 
Size:	909.4 KB 
ID:	34740

I'll add some rep too, although I'm sure Gidde's carries somewhat more weight.
    Decent looking start Tigon... post up a WIP thread if this is more than a throwaway. I have a few initial thoughts...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Thanks for the support, everyone.

Tigon, I agree - animated brushes should make that map go much faster. I'd also provide some more detailed advice, but I gather a WIP thread is the place for such discussion.

Info Tutorila linked in the "Tutorials in PDF Format" thread

Hi, All.

darklingrisen's tutorial is now linked in the Tutorials in PDF Format thread.

It can be found on Page 1, in the GIMP-RELATED TUTORIALS section of Post 2.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Vandy
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

I missed this one. Great tutorial Darlklin and detailed enough so that someone new to Gimp and pick it up and go with it. I'll be adding this one to the quick start mapping guide.

Thanks and repped!

Ravs

Aye, been a bit busy and away from the home laptop (where I'm doing the work). Will start a WIP thread this evening hopefully. Thanks for the pointers Darkling, much appreciated, and I look forward to yours jfrazierjr.

Great tutorial! You're is the first tutorial that I have followed from this site. Been lurking here for a while as well
    This is what I made...
    http://images.virtualretrovertigo.co...ren_region.png

Very nice tutorial, perfect for a new guy like me. I have one question though : How do I color my houses all in one color? I tried in 2 separate maps to paint them like i paint mountains sides and roads, but using the same procedure i get a round brush color blop. I fill them with the bucket tool but its not colored the same, there remain white spots.
    Also wanted to ask you what is the easiest method of making coastlines and maybe a patterned water effect in this style of map making.
    Thank you again for the great tutorial!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast