Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Holy City of Nebbūran

Guild Apprentice Kaiser MacCleg's Avatar

Wip The Holy City of Nebbūran

Having tried my hand at regional mapping, I thought I'd try mapping a city this time around. The not-quite-half-finished map below depicts the Holy City of Nebbūran, the spiritual centre of the Kingdom of Nebūr. The city is characterised by wide, arterial roads connecting locations of importance connected by twisting, labyrinthine alleyways which make the city notoriously hard to police. The palatial Ūnam Šakh, a vast complex containing temples, reliquaries and archives, dominates the hill upon which the city is built, and is topped by a golden dome which can be seen for miles around.

I've tried to adopt a hand-drawn style while creating this map - I haven't been satisfied with the method of using brushes to place buildings in the past, and drawing it by hand, despite the obvious drawbacks - the time it takes to place buildings, for instance - allows me more control over how the city will ultimately look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nebburan.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	629.3 KB 
ID:	25867

I'm not sure about the font I've been using. It certainly looks the part, but I'm not sure if it'll be legible enough - especially if I use smaller font sizes in the future. What do you guys think?

I'm determined that this map will make it to the "finished maps" forum.
    Last edited by Kaiser MacCleg; 06-14-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Sir, you must be insane to attempt something like this, and thats why i like it. I will watch this develop with great interest, have some rep for the great start.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

Its looking mighty fine so far. I agree with both your points about the font. It is a bit hard to determine if thats an L or K for the start of the river name. Its a nice mapping style generally.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good - love that style, very neat
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the kind comments everyone (and for the rep ). Redrobes, thanks for the input. I've been experimenting with other fonts and I've found a couple which could work. Its a K by the way.

That's a really big project you've started, respect! I won't care about the font at the moment. Keep in mind that this is the market hall, this the river XXX etc. If you start labelling now this will damage the city layout.

I have a hand-drawn version of the map as well, so for the most part I'm tracing the layout in the GIMP, and I'm not that worried about experimenting with labelling at this early stage. I've had the city's basic layout filed away in a dusty corner of my brain for a while now; this is just an exercise in finally putting it down on paper and tidying up the edges.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A really nice start, looking forward to seeing where you take it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Progress has been slower than I'd hoped, because I haven't had a lot of time to work on the map. Nonetheless, its starting to come together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nebburan.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	741.7 KB 
ID:	26004

I have a little over half of the walled city done now, though there's more to be done outside the walls, too, and I don't even know where to start when it comes to the farmland.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks good so keep at it. As for farmland, just start with the roads and the huts and see where you are at that point...you might not need to draw in farmlands but might get away with only hedgerows.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast