Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Grung Islands - Another experiment

Wip The Grung Islands - Another experiment

Well, I had a few minutes and wanted to take a break from my commissions. I'm going to be out of town next week as well so lest anyone forget me I figured I would post another experiment of mine. I'm testing out a new way to make stuff and here is the result. Some of it I am happy with, some of it isn't quite what I want yet.

Also, in retrospect after this turned out rather tropical looking I wish I hadn't made the northern area an ice land. So, ignoring that you can comment on whatever looks good and bad. Thank you in advance for your comments.

One of these days one of these things is going to pan out just like I want it and I'm going to be over the moon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrungIslands.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	633.4 KB 
ID:	34794  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The colors are superb but the textures are a little, I dunno, different. No big. I think that you're on to something here, though. The dark blue reminds me of something more north as bright blues and teals remind me of tropics.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those mountains are very cool. I'm not really feeling the bright blues around the landmasses (maybe a less "neon" shade would be better) I love it when you try new stuff it always makes me want to go make something
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

That's cool. And Ascension I think you are right because I wasn't really going for the tropical thing when I started it just sort of struck me that way when I was done. I would also say of all the things I'm least happy with the ocean. We'll have to see what happens when I try this again with a more streamlined method since I was really feeling my way on parts of this and some stuff was pretty rough.

@jtougas - That's what I love about this site too. When someone does something and it makes me want to just go create something myself. I can chill that bright blue around the edges as well since I think that's on a layer of it's own.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Parts of it seem 'out of focus' to me, but I agree with Ascension that you're on to something.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok, made a few more tweaks and carried some of the ideas I discovered on this out a little farther. I also reworked the Ocean with another idea that occurred to me. I think it's better.

Name:	GrungIslands.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	983.5 KB 
ID:	34809  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The ocean looks better. It gets pixely when I zoom in though. Keep up the good work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Are you zooming in more than 100%? I know it's got some pixel issues here and there. I didn't realize that was happening as I was making the thing but I think I can overcome that next time.

Oooooh, nice. This ocean says "watercolors" to me. Yet the mountains and forest texture are more "technical" -- maybe if they were a bit more impressionistic too it would mesh better. In any case, I'm already stashing this in the Map Examples directory, on account of the ocean look: me like.

@jbgibson - I like what you said and took another look at the mountains and forests. I reworked them using the same sort of stuff I had used on the ocean and this is the result.

Name:	GrungIslands2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	848.8 KB 
ID:	34817  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast