Thread: Professional Dungeon & Town/Settlement Maps Needed

Guild Member Facebook Connected Kolyana's Avatar

Default Professional Dungeon & Town/Settlement Maps Needed

This is a reach-out for a feelance artist using any medium to create dungeon and settlement maps from high quality hand-drawn versions.

This is for http://www.tornworld.com.
    It is a professional and commercial enterprise and I am looking to engage a cartographer artist to join the ranks of 4 character artists we currently have onboard (the site link has a gallery and I invite any and all to see what I am talking about).

This is a paid engagement that will hopefully lead into a long term arrangement. Rights to the pieces will be exclusively held by tornworld.com

I personally draw the overland maps and I am currently okay with their look and feel. I hand draw the dungeons and settlements, and while they are 'good', they need to be GREAT. I will therefore be providing dungeon and settlement maps and asking for an artist to create a more professional version of same.

Because all of our books need to be consistent, I will be looking to work with someone for the longhaul.

Timelines:
    I'm going to need a settlement (small norse town) and small dungeon map drawing for the end of April - this is our release date for the first two books. After that the deadlines are 1-2 months out and can be semi-flexible.

Interested?
    • This is for intermediate and advanced mappers
    • Please post samples of your work
    • Please post your work process and if you have a freelance contract available
    • Post your contact details
    • gallery/website
    • Price range/plan

Interested parties may also contact me off list (kolyana@gmail.com) with the information requested above.

Thankyou.

~ Alyssa
    http://www.tornworld.com
    Last edited by RobA; 04-14-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Hi there,
    The maps you've got up in your gallery are pretty fabulous! The Blessed Gorge map in particular jumped out at me. I don't think I have any time to help out...just wanted to say that.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Hi there,
    The maps you've got up in your gallery are pretty fabulous! The Blessed Gorge map in particular jumped out at me. I don't think I have any time to help out...just wanted to say that.
    M
    Well thank you, you are most kind! That particular map was handdrawn (as you can obviously tell), and I tend to be a little ... doubtful ... of any innante skill. Your comments have me wondering if I could do the large settlements in that style!

~ Alyssa

Like Mearrin69, I too don't have the time to take another commission, but I had a look at your maps as well. I know that being a publisher can be very tasking to your time, so to add doing your own cartography adds that much more, however, I almost think you'd be better off being an active member of the guild and becoming a better cartographer yourself. Lots of new members that have some skills, after only 3 months are creating masterpieces - I see this happening to your maps, if you spend much time learning the ropes from our tutorials and expert members.

Large settlement maps are a pain in the ass, even for us experts. Combining your hand-drawn style with tips on creating structures, street plans, you should be able to accomplish this yourself in no time.

If time is what you don't have, then continue to look for a freelancer, I'm sure someone will take you up on it.

If you can take the time, I think you are much closer to getting what you want yourself, than relying on a professional.

I'm a game designer/ publisher myself, and I do all my project's maps - it saves me lots of money on freelance commissions, and allows me to fill my adventures to the gills with maps, which by cost alone is impossible to do for publishers who aren't also cartographers.

Just my 2 cents!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-05-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I would do this, but i am afraid i am neither a professional or a intermediate.

Greetings,

I would very much be interested in the dungeon map creation for your project. I do not have much of a portfolio as of yet but for a sample of my work take a look at my One Page Dungeon submission here. You can contact me further at j.g.e.johnson@gmail.com if you would like to discuss the details further or have any questions.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Hi Alyssa,

I think your blessed gorge map is great too, and would echo what GP has said about doing your own maps if you have the time. If you still feel that you would like someone to help, I'd be interested in doing your settlement maps for you.

I can do a map in this sort of style if you're interested: Silverdale, obviously textures can be changed to suit the environment. If you are interested drop me a line at ravifelicity [at] yahoo.co.uk. A link to my portfolio (needs updating) is in my sig.

All the best

Ravs

Yeah, do your own...we'll help you! LOL. I understand if you need to freelance it out however - I spend far too much time making maps and not enough working on my products.

@Ravells: That's a pretty map!

Thanks guys - all great comments. I'm currently working with two artists and I'm going to reach out to two others here, so I think I have enough (and awesome) support at the moment.

Now ... off to figure out how to "close" this thread ... and then to peruse those fantastic maps out there and gets some hints and tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Kolyana View Post
    Thanks guys - all great comments. I'm currently working with two artists and I'm going to reach out to two others here, so I think I have enough (and awesome) support at the moment.

Now ... off to figure out how to "close" this thread ... and then to peruse those fantastic maps out there and gets some hints and tips!
    Marked as Taken.

-Rob A>