Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miraga Continent

Wip Miraga Continent

This is a map I'm drawing for a friend of mine, she's organizing a tabletop RPG based on final fantasy. I took the sampling textures from google earth. Tell me what you think so far!

Looks nice, but I think the River Police are going to be all over it.

Why's that?

I'm no River Cop, but the rivers don't look natural to me. Rivers don't flow coast-to-coast or connect in the ways shown, as far as I'm aware.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those are borders of provinces, not rivers... they have a glow-y effect.

Anyway, nice map - the basic continent is a bit, hm, blocky, but the colorations etc are very nice indeed IMO.

Ah...my bad. I'm not familiar with that map. In that case, it looks good!

oh! thos border lines! yes they are border lines! hehe

about the basic shape, I think it too, but she drawn the original map this way (she's not very good with maps) and I kept the original shape.

Never, ever. I repeat. Never, ever use blue for borders. Blue is used for WATER. Any decent cartographer knows that.

Sorry for being obstinate. But really, any decent cartographer knows not to use blues/cyans for anything but water.

Use some neutral color such as white.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Arakish, you make me want to use blue for borders just because you say not to so strongly. Personally, I think I could do it. You swung with a bit of overkill me thinks.

However, I also did indeed think those were rivers when I first saw it. And honestly, you might want to experiment with a few other colors just to keep folks from thinking they are rivers. Take a look around at how some maps around here or elsewhere to get some ideas of how you can indicate borders in a way that doesn't confuse the viewer and I think you will be happy you did.

It is pretty square as mentioned but it also looks pretty good. I think if your borders were not also so square the effect of the landmass wouldn't stand out so much. Any reason why the text font is different for Darnell? It does stand out.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Here it is. Ready to go.

I changed the blues for a yellow as I see it's the standard color for modern atlas maps (vide google earth). The blocky style including the borders is intentional, as I said before. Because the first design as you can see here:

is blocky and I didnt wanted to change her vision.

for Darnell, she told me to do that way beacause it's a unknown place.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast