Thread: Need CC3 advice.

Default Need CC3 advice.

Just got CC3 world pack last weekend and really like it but having a bit of difficulty figuring out a couple of things. Hoping someone here can help.

1. How do you or can you import your own images as symbols, floor textures or wall textures. I have an extensive collection I've built up in the last few years and wouldn't want to waste them.
    2. I was working on doing a cave complex and it has a small river flowing through it. What is the best way to add that. I tried the water but it does a smooth polygon which doesn't look right and I'm not sure how you would feather the edges to make it look more natural.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've spent some time leaching all of your excellent maps off this site and want to be able to give back to the community.

Thanks very much,
    Mike

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't know anything about the program, but I've edited the thread name to reflect what you're looking for.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

I think this is what your looking for:

Creating and importing PNGs and Bitmaps as Symbols
    CC3 allows you to use raster images in your drawings. CC3 recognises bitmaps and png files. Images can be inserted in drawings imported as fill styles or included in symbols. You can import any of the vast number of images available on line.
    Preparing Art for Import
    Each file should be a 16 million color bitmap or png image.
    If you want symbols to end up grouped in a collection , make sure their names follow the rules for collections.
    Each file name should be less than 28 characters. We use the Rename utility to rename any files if required.
    You can create varicolor symbols by stacking a varicolor image on top of a full color one. For more information
    Creating a Symbol Catalog of existing raster images
    This is for art suitable for symbols. If you want to import tileable bitmaps as fill styles, see below.
    1. First, make a folder under Symbols\User, with your own name, then add a folder below that with the name of the art you want to
    import.
    1. If it's floorplan art, work out the the number of pixel per unit by opening the art in a paint and dividing the width in pixels by the real
    word width. For Dundjinni art usually the figure is 40 pixels per unit.
    2. In CC3, on the File menu, click New. Select Symbol Catalogs, and Decide Settings Myself.
    3. Select an appropriate blank symbol catalog.
    4. On the Symbols menu, click Import PNG Symbols
    5. Select the folder where the images are.
    6. Type in the resolution you worked out in step 3 above. For overland symbols at the same scale as the ProFantasy ones, use 20. If it
    turns out you've got this wrong, you can always use Scale Symbols on the Symbol Manager to put it right. See below for more
    tips on this.
    7. Choose the layer on which you wish the images in the symbols to appear, usually SYMBOL DEFINITION
    8. If you want to add symbol options, tick this box and click Set. You can always change individual settings in the Symbol Manager
    when import is complete.
    9. You can create lower resolution files that CC3 can use to speed up redraws. Files are: lets CC3 know what resolution the imported
    files are - usually Very High (full resolution) or High (if they are DundjinniDundjinni-style). Choose the folder you created in step
    one as the output folder.
    10. Choose a symbol origin. For overland, it's usually center down, for floorplan, middle left.
    11. CC3 will open another program while other resolution files are created - this process occurs; this may take some time.
    12. When the symbols are imported, you can use Symbol Manager to reorder, rename, rescale and change symbol options.
    13. On the File menu click Save As. Choose a location (anywhere under Symbols is fine)
    14. In the Save as Type box, click Campaign Cartographer 3 Symbol catalog.
    15. Type a name, click Save.
    Checking the symbol resolution
    To check you are getting the symbol resolution correct when you import png symbols.
    1. Put two or three of your symbols in a test folder (for true precision, add a png symbol of a fixed size - eg 10' wall)
    2. Import them with your guessed resolution
    3. Save the catalog
    4. Start a new drawing based on an appropriate template.
    5. Place an existing symbol of the same type from a CC2 Pro catalog, maybe a SS1 or SS2 one at a symbol scale of 1.
    6. Place a symbol from your new catalog. They should be the same size. If not, reimport with a different scale. You can use the
    Distance command to find out the scale factor by measuring the heights of both symbols and working out the ratio.
    It's fine to import art from multiple locations, particularly if you want different symbol options for each set of symbols.
    _________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.

To make the water seem to get shallow at the edges, place the river on a SHEET called RIVER or use the WATER sheet already provided.

Put his sheet directly below the FLOOR sheet in the list
    Draw your water.
    Apply an EDGE FADE effect to the WATER/RIVER sheet.
    *OPTIONAL* Apply a slight blur to this sheet as well.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave