Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first regional map

The filter you've used is beautifully applied.
    Regards,

RK

I have one little nitpick: On German maps leading articles are usually omitted ("Weites Flachland" instead of "Das weite Flachland").

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cfds View Post
    I have one little nitpick: On German maps leading articles are usually omitted ("Weites Flachland" instead of "Das weite Flachland").
    Usually, yes. But if the place has a special meaning the article could be used to emphasize this. Other labels on the map don't use an article.

great map I really like

Guild Apprentice

I didnt work on the map that much in the last weeks because I concentrated on other aspects on the world. Now I've come back to it and I tried to change the style of the map, because I wasnt 100% satisfied with what it looked like. I wanted the land mass to look more like parchment or something like that.

This is what I came up with after playing around a bit. Whats your opinion? What do and don't you like?

Furthermore, Im not really satisfied with the cities. Somehow it doesnt look professional. I need a way to create cities that fit to the style of the map more. What ideas do you have?

Lastly, I searched for a way to implement forests but nothing was really satisfying. Im still not sure if I should implement forests at all...

And for the river in the downer left ... I saw the mistake, I already edited it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region farblich umgestaltet Kopie.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	36071  

Guild Novice

The parchment look is cool, but perhaps it gives too "dry" a feeling to whole world? Especially without trees, the vibe is one of a desert/arid world. Also, the parchment doesn't seem to extend into the water, which may or may not be the look your going for!

As for the cities, I think they look fine, but they look a little bit crisp and perfect for a hand-drawn map... maybe more of a pen-stroke symbol for the cities would blend better with the motif?

[edit: saw that you correct the river in the corner! ]

But aside from those little points, the map is looking really great
    Last edited by keithrgordon; 05-26-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For cities, you have the quasi-3d dot similar to what Google uses. Try something very simple - a big brown square in the color of the mountains. A circle works as well, or a Maltese Cross, something like that...a simple geometric shape. I would reduce the texture in the ocean to make it more subtle but the color is good. The parchment color is good but maybe just a tad over-textured...a slight reduction there maybe. The compass doesn't fit the rest of it but you can change that later. Nonetheless, looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Perhaps the labels could be integrated with some kind of bleeding ( ink into parchment ) or a very slight shadow. Thy are a bit "plain" for my taste. But it is taste after all. Gute Karte.

Guild Apprentice

Thank you for your replies.
    Do you like this style more? It looks less "dirty" and not less like parchment than the other one.

I made some very simple city points also. Is this okay or is it too simple? (I would of course vary in form, e.g. stars for capitals, squares for big cities, circles for small ones and so on...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAAF.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	36104  
    Last edited by Sel93; 05-27-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This version looks good but I think that the texturing here is more prominent on land than the last one and overall still too heavy, just my opinion, if you dig it then keep it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast