Thread: 1st ever map!

Guild Novice

Map 1st ever map!

Here is the first ever map i made trying to follow the tutorial present in here for photoshop.
    Took me the best part of afternoon and evening.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good but - folks always say my stuff is too dark. If you want to lighten up the land colors, click on the base layer and change the blend mode to soft light.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Well many thanks Sir! I was actually wondering how to lighten it up.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good. the bump map on the oceans is a little "pockmarked" if that makes any sense. There are some random holes here and there that don't quite look right. Of course that's just my opinion all in all It's a very nice first map (WAY better than my first)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I think I like the pockmarks. If you're looking at the same things I am, they resemble sub-surface volcanic activity. They could be good areas to find atolls, perhaps?
    Regards,

RK

Awesome!!!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
    I think I like the pockmarks. If you're looking at the same things I am, they resemble sub-surface volcanic activity. They could be good areas to find atolls, perhaps?
    Thats a very good way of looking at that. Now that I've looked at again your exactly right
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Novice

It looks very good to my eyes. It looks very realistic. It's amazing what reading one tutorial can do for you isn't it?