Thread: My very first tablet...

Default My very first tablet...

Something reminded me of this today...my first tablet, circa 1985: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KoalaPad/Painter

I think I do remember making a map for gaming using it; and printing it out using a very hinkey color printer that used a plastic press-off ribbon (a cartridge was good for about eight pages because it had to use a, 8 1/2" character-high strip for each color (CMYK) for each line of the page).

Fun times. How did we ever survive?
    M

Yikes. That takes me back.

I remember using MS Paint, in Windows 2.78 or something or other. On an Amstrad computer.

Good times.
    Regards,

RK

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Man, I always wanted one for my C64...lucky bastiches. I just bought some drawing pad thing for my niece's birthday (11) for her Wii.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Actually...wait a minute...my fuzzy memories of ancient days are becoming clearer. I think this *wasn't* my first tablet. Just read the description again. This was the little one, sort of alike a mousepad on a modern laptop. My *first* pad was a great big (seemed huge but maybe 12"x12") "multi-touch" thing (you could put your whole hand on it and it would register) with pretty low resolution. Anybody remember what that was called? Seems like I remember it had a printed on color palette where you could select the drawing color...or maybe it was a printed insert or something?
    M

Edit: if you have an iPad and want to recapture that Koala Pad mojo: http://felttip.com/paint/. Hmmm. I wonder if there's a DeluxePaint port for iPad. I loved that app (Amiga).

I have a question. Im thinking about getting a tablet and I want to know a cheap one that is decently good.

Thats some old stuff. I started with Win 95 and Paint which isn't very cool.

@eViLe_eAgLe - I have an old Wacom Graphire 3, a new Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch and the Intuos 3. I currently use the bamboo for my laptop and the intuos for my desktop. The bamboo pen and touch is fairly inexpensive around $99 US, it gets the job done and is a pretty good starter tablet. However the pen nibs (plastic tips) wear out pretty quickly. The big thing is sticking to whatever you get, my graphire sat for years while I bashed my way with the mouse until I finally commited myself to the pen and never looked back. I have never used anything but Wacoms there are others out there but most reviews I have read put them well below the quality of Wacom products. Hope this helps.
    Have you dressed your dungeon lately?
    GREYTALE.COM

Aye, it does help.

Yeah, Wacom is the way to go brand-wise. Intuos isn't cheap but I can't recommend it highly enough. I had a Graphire for years though and used it over my old Intuos (no number, it was that old) because it had a USB interface instead of serial. I use an Intuos 4 medium now and it's really excellent, apart from fast-wearing nibs (which are quite cheap and Wacom is just down the road from me!)
    M