Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Writers?

Quote Originally Posted by Murcu View Post
    Well. I just recently started pointing something down on paper that had been in my head for about 4 years. I decided to start with an outline that would give a brief history of the things involved. Well, ten thousand words later (and 25 footnotes demanding further explanation) I managed to start an outline for the plot of the actual story. I just finished act 1 not too long ago, so I think I'll begin the actual writing phase.
    Outlines are wonderful! I hit 53 pages with my outline for the six book series. (give or take a few pages as things change a bit.) My other six book serise outlines hit around 45 pages.

Good luck with the writing! If you ever need any help drop by fmwriters.com and it's chat room.

Blog Entries

hehe way ahead of you. i actually went to register and saw that my very rare username was already taken. so i thought to try my password. turns out id registers some time in the distant past and forgotten about it. lol

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I am new to the guild, and I am more of a writer than a mapper, but I tend to stick to the short form. I just always find that I want to get to the point in the stories I write.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm a get to the point guy myself....like some dude gets slapped so he cuts the other dude's hand off. Good story, I like it. Heh heh. Just needs some embellishments and plot twists. This is why I'm not a writer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

New here. Definitely a writer, and a bad mapper, but still learning!

Quote Originally Posted by Murcu View Post
    hehe way ahead of you. i actually went to register and saw that my very rare username was already taken. so i thought to try my password. turns out id registers some time in the distant past and forgotten about it. lol
    one thing about having a rare username. you know when you sign up somewhere! Hope you check out the site some now.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'm a get to the point guy myself....like some dude gets slapped so he cuts the other dude's hand off. Good story, I like it. Heh heh. Just needs some embellishments and plot twists. This is why I'm not a writer.
    Yeah, I'm not QUITE that . . . minimalist. I do try to describe things, try to use the language to evoke the sense I am going for. Delve into the thoughts of the character, maybe have a flashback to a pertinent event, etc. I am not good at expanding my work in breadth and depth in the manner necessary to make a novel. Hence being a short-story writer. I do very much enjoy writing up evocative little blurbs for locations, people, and themes in my settings, though.

I've been developing a conworld project on and off for the past 6 years, which i'm finally finding the time to commit too and loving it. I'm also finishing off a draft of a steampunk adventure short story about a British diplomat flying a steam powered zepper from China to India that'd I think might have use of a map as well.

I do some storytelling. Sometimes with words, sometimes with maps :-).

Apparently the trick with channeling prolific worldbuilding into writing is to not try to use all you construct. While the length and definition of your world's distance measure may matter to a story, and can be part of many plot-necessary things, it doesn't have to be detailed to the reader. Too much of that, and the writing becomes encyclopadiac instead of tightly plotted. Nothing wrong with creating the encyclopedia yourself, so you know where your characters have to go to get across the countryside, how they dress for the occasion, and just what the spy from A noticed in the courtesan from B's demeanor that made him suspect she had been born in C and her loyalties really lay with D. Now, if you're clever, you could create that chain of logic backwards, from desired result back to plausible causes, with intriguing twists along the way. But you could also let it arise going forward, letting your plot twist according to the details of your constructed world. <shrug> ... whichever floats your boat.

For me, much of the story comes straight from the geography.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234