Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writers?

Default Writers?

I started making maps to go along with the novels I write. I was wondering if anyone here is also working on some novels.

Guilty as charged.

Not putting pen to paper until I got maps, excel spreadsheets, terminologies, plot arcs, sub-plots and all that other gumption worked out. I want to have enough to fill five trilogies. I don't do small. Totally setting myself up for dissapointment, but what is life without lofty goals?
    Regards,

RK

I plan on making lore and a long huge backround surrounding the world im making maybe 90 pages of lore and backround or something told through a story teller.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Kingdom of Shendenflar is a long running project of mine. It started as a a campaign setting (and still is) that sort of grew a life of it's own in my head. There was so much stuff going on I HAD to write some of it down so that I could sleep.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I love world building, but the more novels I write and more worlds I end up creating. I find I only use a forth of what I end up making. I have a 6 book series that i've been working on here and there. I did so much world building for this set of novels and I've barely touched most of it. The maps were the most important thing I needed.

There was a cool comment on io9 about GRR Martin and that he only builds what he needs in his world. I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
    Guilty as charged.

Not putting pen to paper until I got maps, excel spreadsheets, terminologies, plot arcs, sub-plots and all that other gumption worked out. I want to have enough to fill five trilogies. I don't do small. Totally setting myself up for dissapointment, but what is life without lofty goals?
    Wow, five trilogies. Good luck. Have you started on any of this yet?

I have made a few attempts, but each time I keep finding other stories I want to tell which predate it, so any works done thus far have been archived for future reference.

The long and short of it is a boy who joins a Roman Legion-esque style army called the Emissars to help support his family going through some difficult times, and the several trilogies follow him throughout his life as he takes on various roles and their challenges. He becomes an Emissar, then a marauder (which is sort of like a forward-scout), then leaves combat to become an administrative assistant for a provincial governor, then a mercenary, then works as a master-of-arms for the capital city's reformed constabulary, then gets involved with an underground movement. All on the backdrop of this particular country's civil strife and the growing threat of (and eventual war with) a large western aggressor. After all that, I might have a sixth-saga in me which involves a natural catastrophe that reshapes the world forever.

I am trying to make it a very individual experience, basically a guy who is just trying to help his family survive as best he can while dealing with his immediate problems. Just an ordinary guy who finds himself in some situations which demand extraordinary measures, whether good or bad. There is no magic in my world (beyond perceptions of it), but there are elves, dwarves and other bits and bobs.
    Regards,

RK

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've just started on a novel of my own, and am also working on a collaborative writing project with some good friends
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Collaboration can be awesome
    Regards,

RK

wow, Ryan sounds like a great idea! Don't get caught up in the build of the world or the novel. Get the first series outlined and go for it. It's always easier to edit something to your liking after you get the words down. (Though I shouldn't be the one to mention editing, I have a dozen novels that need editing and i'm horrible at it.) Do you belong to any writing groups? I would have never finished my first novel if i hadn't found fmwriters.com and the people that popluate the chat room there.

My large 6 book series is based around five friends who are all heading into a differnet part of their live, each taking a differnet path, some staying in the city they were born in and some leaving to find what their world has to offer. (i really need a better blurb!) I have books 1 - 4 written. Five and six are outlined. Only a few chapters of book 1 are edited.

I've taken a break from that set of books to work on another fantasy novel. Hopefully the break won't do me harm when i head back to the large serise.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast