Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Blackmarsh Lowlands

Hi there Jtougas,

I tend to agree with Bartomoss, the latest version (with mountains and beveled rivers) is my favorite, but I would try toning down the bright Green of the flood planes. I know that you want to show that these areas are nearly flooded, but that bright green just does not look like the color of natural vegetation to me. Otherwise, looking really good!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hi there Jtougas,

I tend to agree with Bartomoss, the latest version (with mountains and beveled rivers) is my favorite, but I would try toning down the bright Green of the flood planes. I know that you want to show that these areas are nearly flooded, but that bright green just does not look like the color of natural vegetation to me. Otherwise, looking really good!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks And good point. Here's where I am now. I toned down the colors and the mountains which I made a brownish color and added a blur to round them off somewhat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Blackmarsh Lowlands.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	34887
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Ooh, no that I like! Great job. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

Wip

After the time of the flood, man clinged to the rocks and hills of the land. As the land changed and the water receeded he came together with others of his kind and built towns only a few as only a small number of men had survived the Gods wrath. Fearful and petulant, man named the things around him. Names that would remind him of the Gods fury. Whispers of rebellion against these Gods that would try to destroy him. Other things grew in the land as well. Fell evil things that man was sure were placed by the Gods to finish thier task. All this man survived and the Gods began to wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Ooh, no that I like! Great job. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks I started to label this (finding a interesting font that was readable is always a chore for me) Obviously the names reflect the rather dismal nature of this land...

Views:	57 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	34928
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking good now, I agree that the brown hills make it look much better - it definitely looks swampy now.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I definitely like the way this is turning out. One thing that is extremely hard to see though, are the cities. Is there a way you can emphasize them somehow, maybe with a soft outer glow or something?

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I definitely like the way this is turning out. One thing that is extremely hard to see though, are the cities. Is there a way you can emphasize them somehow, maybe with a soft outer glow or something?
    That's a good point. I went back and made the icons a little bigger and a little blacker so that they would stand out more. This map is relatively small (1024x1024) which I think also made them disappear somewhat. Having said that I think I'm done with this. I finished labeling it and added a border and a compass. This was a neat project as it got my writing mojo cranked up and I learned some new
    techniques.

Views:	67 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	34949

Finished Maps

Awesome map and story it sounds very interesting. I would have bought it if it was a book.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12