Thread: 1930s OS maps of the UK

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default 1930s OS maps of the UK

Not sure if this has been posted before but I saw this link go round on twitter today. It's a really nice use of the Google Maps API for old maps of the UK:

http://www.nls.tileserver.com/
    Fantasy Map Blog | My food illustration
    Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time it took to make those various maps, yowza.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept Gracious Donor monks's Avatar

Love it! Yes, some serious organisation needed to get all those in there like that.
    I used to look at these maps when I was a kid- the contour ones, and got a strange pleasure form it heh. My grandad had an old Times map of the world on his wall. I remember looking at that with interest (my grandad had served in WW2 and had been around a bit)- I must have been 3 or 4. Yes, I can still remember it. It takes some doing to get all of that info in there and still make it readable!