Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rite Publishing, Kaidan Patronage Project. 1st adventure release in Feb/Mar 2011

Default Rite Publishing, Kaidan Patronage Project. 1st adventure release in Feb/Mar 2011

Hey guys, sorry for my absence busy in projects for work and this cool publication stuff.

Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting is being both funded and developed by a community of patrons wo participate on a private forum with voting rights and bennies like POD printed book at cost, and varying (paid-for) levels of participation granted participation in art direction, or even pitching two ideas. Free Questhaven PDFs as bonus material, higher level contributors are credited in the publication.

The Patronage began on Oct 2nd and will run until Nov 28 in an effort to collect the intended budget for the 3 part adventure and the setting handbook. As of today, it has reached 51% with just 27 days left to collect funds, before the project can be officially greenlighted for final development and publication.

Last Friday a Kaidan Preview was released as a free download from RPGNow and DriveThruRPG, that gave a teaser - it even got a 4 out of 5 star rating, and it was only a 6 page preview story with map.

What was going to be a 3 book adventure arc has turned into a 96 page single adventure book, with a similar sized setting handbook to follow.

Although I am sure we will hit the budget goal by Nov 28, the project does need more participants to be greenlighted.

Jonathan McAnulty is lead designer and project lead, Quentin Small is Editor, I'm developer, cartographer, art director and layout artist. Kaidan will be an imprint under Rite Publishing under Steven D. Russell.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wow. I don't know anything about how that all works out but it sounds like a lot of people all of a sudden being involved with your "baby". How does that work out in the end? Mainly is it worth it and what have you lost verses what do you gain? I hope you make a bunch from it but it sounds like a lot of fingers in the Pie to me.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

So, are you seeking investors? Or just letting us know how things are going? Either way, congrats on the progress you have made so far.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Yeah congrats. I'm not sure I could work under a patronage project but it sounds like it's going well for you so...that's awesome! Hopefully you get enough patrons to make it happen.
    M

There are elements of Kaidan that's currently etched in stone, the specific mechanics for applying it to the game becomes variable. I write an article on a given element, it is put forward to the forum for discussion, the community gets to vote. However all development is in the hands of the developers. Gold Patrons ($99) get an autographed book, credits in pub, all free bennies, and get to pitch two ideas, subject to developer discretion, and community vote. So while some ideas could get included that I hadn't planned on, the majority of setting development is in the hands of the developers. Me, and Jonathon McAnulty. The truly Japanese aspects, I have relative control, still subject to vote.

While I agree it isn't ideal, Rite Publishing (Quillon on this site) is in the top three of 3pp revenue generators supporting Pathfinder with Open Design Project and Super Genius Games. The marketing assets and exposure level is much greater. In the end, I am still the owner of the setting. So there is a pro staff, and an excellent marketing platform to make the best opportunity for success.

@ Aval - oh, I'm not begging for investors, if anyone's interested the offer is there - that's up to you. I'm really just notifying my status and the status of my projects.

Its exciting and fun! Work though.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-03-2010 at 03:13 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Hey, I never said begging! LOL
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Blog Entries

You explained the patronage method last time but it might be worth running over that again. As I remember, people pledge or actually transfer funds into a pot and if it reaches the amount required to make the project then it starts and all the patrons / investors get their copy. Is that about right. So if we wanted to join in then would we pledge money or paypal it in or something. So I am still a bit confused and I am sure more people are here. So how do we get you the other 49% ?

RR, instead of my trying to explain, here is Rite Publishing's page dedicated to the explanation of Patronage

Here's a link to the specific benefits of the Kaidan Patronage Project

Basically you are correct. Becoming a patron means pre-paying an amount for various developmental access to the project available as $25/$60/$99 patronages.

Throughout the patron fund raiser portion of the project, previews are released, PODcasts are created, Chats focusing on just one project, banner ads, interviews are conducted and all manner of promotion is emphasized during the period.

So its a good time for promotion to get the other 49%

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

56% now I see - great work GP. This will be a great setting, and Rite Publishing are very good at supporting their products. Good to see this going forward.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast