Thread: 1930s OS maps of the UK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default 1930s OS maps of the UK

Not sure if this has been posted before but I saw this link go round on twitter today. It's a really nice use of the Google Maps API for old maps of the UK:

http://www.nls.tileserver.com/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time it took to make those various maps, yowza.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Love it! Yes, some serious organisation needed to get all those in there like that.
    I used to look at these maps when I was a kid- the contour ones, and got a strange pleasure form it heh. My grandad had an old Times map of the world on his wall. I remember looking at that with interest (my grandad had served in WW2 and had been around a bit)- I must have been 3 or 4. Yes, I can still remember it. It takes some doing to get all of that info in there and still make it readable!