Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello all

OK, I made tutoruial up to step a person through putting a BMP/PNG image into CC3. It can be found in the Tutorial Section:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...2813#post12813
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Look on the bright side, eleran, you are probably the first person who has made a molehill out of a mountain!

Don't worry too much about what manuals tell you about relative sizes, sizing by eye (which you can do in CC2 and I'm sure in CC3) is probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by eleran View Post
    I tried to run a river from inland down to the coast and link it to the coast, but when I would get to the sea area, my river would jump itself up to the top map edge every single time. What am I missing? When I did this using the tutorial maps it worked just fine, but my own map it didnt work well at all.

I dont like the width of the default river. Can I change the width it is drawn at?
    Your other questions were answered, but these weren't. The first issue--the end of your river jumping to the map border--is probably due to a snapping option. I don't recall off the top of my head where the snapping tool is, but if you poke around in the menus, you should be able to find a place to turn it off. Seems like it was close to or inside the grid settings.

The second problem was the line width of the river. That's quite easy to change. In the right-hand column on the left edge of the workspace there is a button called "change properties." If you right-click that button it will call up a context menu in which you can choose "line width."

Click that, choose the river, then enter a new value. The default value is probably 0.0, which will make the river a hairline no matter what zoom level you're at. Just choose a value that is equal to the width you want the river to be in real world units. Notice, though, that giving the river a width will give it a fill style, as if it were a polygon. I think the default is a solid fill with the same color as the original line, but I'm not sure.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Apprentice

Thanx Bryan. I will try that when I resume the tutorial after dinner tonight.

So, just to clarify, if I have a river on my map that I envision as a quarter mile across I want to set the width of the line at 0.25?
    Last edited by eleran; 01-29-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Your other questions were answered, but these weren't. The first issue--the end of your river jumping to the map border--is probably due to a snapping option. I don't recall off the top of my head where the snapping tool is, but if you poke around in the menus, you should be able to find a place to turn it off. Seems like it was close to or inside the grid settings.

The second problem was the line width of the river. That's quite easy to change. In the right-hand column on the left edge of the workspace there is a button called "change properties." If you right-click that button it will call up a context menu in which you can choose "line width."

Click that, choose the river, then enter a new value. The default value is probably 0.0, which will make the river a hairline no matter what zoom level you're at. Just choose a value that is equal to the width you want the river to be in real world units. Notice, though, that giving the river a width will give it a fill style, as if it were a polygon. I think the default is a solid fill with the same color as the original line, but I'm not sure.
    As well as a snap issue, it sounds like an ATTACH issue. The Atttach button is located at the bottom right of the screen. The button are in order:

GRID
    ORTHO
    SNAP
    ATTACH

If the Attached button is depressed, simply click on it and this will turn the attach feature off.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by eleran View Post
    Thanx Bryan. I will try that when I resume the tutorial after dinner tonight.

So, just to clarify, if I have a river on my map that I envision as a quarter mile across I want to set the width of the line at 0.25?
    That's correct. Note also that since the river will become a polygon, you will also be able to edit the nodes in order to make it wider or narrower in places.

Disclaimer: I'm not terribly experienced with CC3, having just started with it recently, but I remember the problems I had starting out. If ever jaerdaph or NeonKnight contradicts me, they're almost certainly correct.

Which is to say: Yeah, Attach is probably what you want to toggle.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    That's correct. Note also that since the river will become a polygon, you will also be able to edit the nodes in order to make it wider or narrower in places.

Disclaimer: I'm not terribly experienced with CC3, having just started with it recently, but I remember the problems I had starting out. If ever jaerdaph or NeonKnight contradicts me, they're almost certainly correct.

Which is to say: Yeah, Attach is probably what you want to toggle.
    Close, if you make the line wider, narrower, it is still a line. I am sure there is a correlation to the WIDTH of the line in relation to the scale, but not exactly sure. I'd have to research it tonight.

Guild Apprentice

Map finished tutorial

I finished the tutorial overland map. It is pretty rough, but it is done. Now I want to start piecing my campaign starter map together. Would it be better to start a new WIP thread somewhere? If so, where is appropriate?

Take a look at my tutorial map and let the comments fly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JM-tutorial01.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	2228  

It is a nice map, and from what I can see, you have taken then tutorial lessons quite well. Not sure about the rivers though. Were they done witha a solid line or a different fill style? They looked dashed.

Guild Apprentice

They were done with the default river selection, per the tutorial. That's why I was asking about changing the width, I wasn't happy with the look of the rivers. Is it possible I do too much clicking while drawing the rivers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast