Thread: Unknown Land

Default Unknown Land

Hey y'all.

Been awhile since me last post. Still working on completing Masters and working and fixing 80yr old house and landscaping yard... Well you get the pic...

Here is something I threw together in a half-hour mapping fiasco with Photoshop and ArcMap. It is a Hypsometric Color Shaded Relief map superimposed with a parchment paper obtained here at this site (forget the URL).

I have to admit, I like the results, but also don't like them. The don'ts are the difficulty of seeing the color shaded relief. The dos are the simplicity and the inability to see details as an old map should.

What do y'all think?

Also, a question for the Forum Gods: Where would I post some of the more simpler maps I created for my Masters Thesis?

Thanks for everyone's valuable time and criticisms.

rmfr

P.S. - Obviously, the map file is too big for here. Try this link: http://www.4shared.com/photo/oxZE4BZ...ld-test01.html
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Quote Originally Posted by arakish View Post
    Where would I post some of the more simpler maps I created for my Masters Thesis?
    You can upload them in a finished map thread, assuming they are small enough to attach. If smaller you can create a gallery (I can't recall the limit on gallery images).

-Rob A>

That looks amazing! How hard was it to create those wonderful mountains? Was it very man-draulic?
    Regards,

RK

Guild Applicant

That's absolutely beautiful. My only real criticism is fairly anal. If you want to get technical and you're going for a really old map look, generally the most common pigment used to create a shade of green like you have on your map is verdigris, which after a number of centuries is prone to turning brown or even black depending on the environment the map is stored in, hence a lot of Renaissance paintings look so drab. This is a bit beyond the scope of this map but kinda cool; if left on a stack of paper or bound in a book when exposed to humidity, often the page under it will become stained with the green color too.

Take that as you will. If you fade the verdigris you'll likely only compound the inability to distinguish the relief, though I'm not sure that's a bad thing.