Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand-drawn town WIP

To be honest the fields do seem just a teensy-tinsy bit busy, but nothingt hat distracts the eye. The roads, on the other hand I think drag the composition down, dragging away from the buildings and the layout. That's not to say it's not a great map (it is), just one part that I personally didn't care for as much.

So what's next? Coloring? I can't wait--this is a very pleasing map-in-process!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Professional Artist

Started adding some color last night. As I mentioned, I'm using watercolor pencils for most of the coloring; I have some traditional tube watercolors as well that I'm using for a few colors.

The road has been shaded in with the pencils using the same colors as the beach (a deep cadmium yellow and just a touch of ochre brown). You can see how much difference a little water makes!

It doesn't show up at all in the scan, but I added a bit of foam onto the water with some white pastel.

Still have a lot more glazing to do; the rooftops aren't going to stay that fire engine red for long!

When it's all done I'll post up a link to a high-res version if you guys really want to get in and see how sloppy my watercolor work really is.
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    To be honest the fields do seem just a teensy-tinsy bit busy, but nothingt hat distracts the eye. The roads, on the other hand I think drag the composition down, dragging away from the buildings and the layout. That's not to say it's not a great map (it is), just one part that I personally didn't care for as much.

So what's next? Coloring? I can't wait--this is a very pleasing map-in-process!
    I wouldn't say it's great. Definitely too busy; I'm not use to thinking in color when I'm just drawing by hand, since I usually work in black and white with, at most, a single color wash or something similar to provide a bit of gray. I just have to remember next time to leave some of the work for the color!
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games

Guild Journeyer

I must admit that I am anxious to see this finished so I can chop it up into symbols to use in my own maps. I am nowhere as good with a pen.

And for that reason, Repped!

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by GlennZilla View Post
    I must admit that I am anxious to see this finished so I can chop it up into symbols to use in my own maps. I am nowhere as good with a pen.
    Heck, if that's what you want, I can just get out some bristol board and draw up a sheet of houses. I ordered a new batch of pen nibs and I'll need a good excuse to try 'em out.

Back in college I started off in architecture and then moved over to fine arts, so I kind of got a leg up early!
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games

Blog Entries

That would be stupendous. I looked at your site and seen all those lovely maps. A blend of pen and Photoshop can produce some great looking maps. If your looking to get some villages and cities made in your style then a sheet of houses and cottages by your pen would get a few people here including me eager for a chance to pop a few down and see what can be done with them.

I love your style. It takes me back to my early days of running ICE's Middle Earth RP modules.

And I can certainly identify with the tendency to get too "fiddly" with the details--that's always been one of my weaknesses.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Buh-hee-you-tiful. I just love the ink-line work and even the coloring is growing on me. The water is sweet, the pink houses are... well, anyway, you said that was going to change, so hey! I like it.

Like Midgard, I'm all over fiddly bits.
    By the way, I'm the Colin Paddock of the Clan Mc Donald who has been pestering you over at your site. Now get back to the video work. I want to know what you do with Dissolve before I come up with too many more dumb ideas of my own.

For some reason, I just love those trees. Trees always give me trouble (whether from the side or from the top), and these are just beautiful.

Also, I'm very interested what the endresult will be

Guild Journeyer

I'd love to get a compilation of houses, terrain and such to use! I tend to grab buildings out of aerial photos (Google Earth) and chop the up and paste them back together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast