Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand-drawn town WIP

Professional Artist

Thanks all! Weekends are family time here at Casa del Zombie, so I haven't worked on the map since last week. I should have some time tomorrow to finish it up, though; it really doesn't need much more work, and I got a couple of new waterbrushes in today that I'm dying to try out!

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Buh-hee-you-tiful. I just love the ink-line work and even the coloring is growing on me. The water is sweet, the pink houses are... well, anyway, you said that was going to change, so hey! I like it.

Like Midgard, I'm all over fiddly bits.
    By the way, I'm the Colin Paddock of the Clan Mc Donald who has been pestering you over at your site. Now get back to the video work. I want to know what you do with Dissolve before I come up with too many more dumb ideas of my own.
    Glad to see you made it over to the Guild!

I wanted the rooftops to have a warm tone, so they'd have a bit of pop against the green. I lived in the Azores for awhile, and almost all the rooftops there had these terra cotta tiles on top (normal rooftops would get blown away, literally; it gets VERY windy there!). Here's a pic to show you what I had in mind: http://www.azores-express.com/images/IM000174.jpg
    I don't really have a good, rich orange like that, and I'd like to try to create by glazing layers of color rather than just mixing it. I haven't used watercolors in a while, and I'm trying to build my chops back up!

I'd love to go back there and just fill up a sketchbook with drawings and paintings some day!

I'm just now getting over a head cold, though, so I have to wait a few more days to get my voice back before I try to record another episode or it'd be nothing more than a series of croaks. Entertaining, sure, but not that educational!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirith
    For some reason, I just love those trees. Trees always give me trouble (whether from the side or from the top), and these are just beautiful.

Also, I'm very interested what the endresult will be
    Thanks! I did a bunch of test drawing and coloring on the flip side of the map, and I did some trees there that I like a lot better than the ones I ended up with. I got a copy of Rendering in Pen and Ink over the weekend, and while it's really gotten me inspired to do some more ink work, it's also made me painfully aware of some things I could've done better on.

There's always next time, though!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennZilla
    I'd love to get a compilation of houses, terrain and such to use! I tend to grab buildings out of aerial photos (Google Earth) and chop the up and paste them back together.
    You've gotta love Google Earth! I'll probably use Google Maps to find some interesting building shapes. Working on a top-down only view, it's nice not having to worry about how the building actually has to fit together like when I'm making buildings in Sketchup!
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
    You've gotta love Google Earth! I'll probably use Google Maps to find some interesting building shapes. Working on a top-down only view, it's nice not having to worry about how the building actually has to fit together like when I'm making buildings in Sketchup!
    I keep thinking I want to make a model in Sketchup for the town but I can't seem to take the time for it. Plus I learned 3D in 3DS Max so if it's not Max I have a hard time using it. It's what I got used to using, I guess.

Too many ideas and not enough time.

Though I think I am going to do a WIP thread on my aerial view mapping method, just as soon as I am not at work and not dealing with a feverish child.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123