View Poll Results: What's your favorite part?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • The mountain ranges

6 28.57%
  • the islands

2 9.52%
  • the forests

5 23.81%
  • the names of things

6 28.57%
  • the giant river down the middle

6 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gergia - Lancelot Schaubert's World

Guild Novice

Map Gergia - Lancelot Schaubert's World

This site's awesome.

Here's the map of my world broken down into three types (1) regular (2) the cultures of the world overlay (3) an inverted/gradient one for nighttime.

Basically I worked on this for six years. Since I'm no true artist, and had no pad (only a broken lazer mouse that wouldn't stay still), I had to zoom in until my scree = 40px or so, and used a 1px brush on most of it. Tedious. Grueling. Painful work for someone whose first language is not the brush or the pencil, but the pen. The initial outline was inked, scanned in, then traced over. Mostly photoshop. The book's the funner, easier part for me - it comes naturally.

The map wasn't an option. It just had to be done:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gergia copyright.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	34916

Name:	Gergia Cultures (no connects).jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	34917

Name:	Gergia Map Main copyinvert.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	34919

enjoy.
    Last edited by lanceschaubert; 04-07-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: read the forum rules more closely.

I love the incredible amount of detail. Just thinking up all of the feature names must have taken forever.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can totally sympathize with the pixel editing with a crappy mouse - that's how I used to work because I was afraid of my tablet (it called me names and stole my lunch money). But I think that what you have here is a real winner; very nice. My vote would have been for the delta so I went with my second, the forests. Mtns aren't too shabby either.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Incredible. Excellent work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I voted for the mountains, but only for the lack of being able to vote for the font
    Regards,

RK

Guild Novice

Info Detail

Quote Originally Posted by sensawunda View Post
    I love the incredible amount of detail. Just thinking up all of the feature names must have taken forever.
    Thanks!

Yeah, it's still taking time. There are places on the map mentioned in stories, or alternate names based on culture. It's absurd. What helped is that I'm taking a bit of a collective-mythology stance, so "the blazing world" for instance was an old 1666 piece about an archipelago extending up from scotland between greenland and norway. I modified the names of the islands, but the concept's pretty similar.

But yeah. I'm glad to have it done for detail sake. I'm no detail guy, so you can guess the grind.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I can totally sympathize with the pixel editing with a crappy mouse - that's how I used to work because I was afraid of my tablet (it called me names and stole my lunch money). But I think that what you have here is a real winner; very nice. My vote would have been for the delta so I went with my second, the forests. Mtns aren't too shabby either.
    Haha. Thanks. I really appreciate that. Yeah, I like the delta too. I was just talking to a guy about that, about the science behind deltas and what a delta that wide with that many islands would say about the age of the river and such. Growing up an hour from the mississippi, crossing it so often in my life obviously plays into the concept.

Guild Novice

Default delta

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Haha. Thanks. I really appreciate that. Yeah, I like the delta too. I was just talking to a guy about that, about the science behind deltas and what a delta that wide with that many islands would say about the age of the river and such. Growing up an hour from the mississippi, crossing it so often in my life obviously plays into the concept.

Guild Novice

well, I'll change it so you can do just that...

Guild Novice

guess I can't change the poll post-creation. regardless, I appreciate all of the support and encouragement! you guys rock!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast