Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Ox Inn - Hand Drawn

Nice work there. I like the Blue Ox head in the floor, made me smile. Also, condolences. When that day comes for us we are going to be absolute toast.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight View Post
    I like the flagstones on the lower level with the mosaic blue pieces in it. cool idea.
    Like any map, if you want to show detail in a location you can't show it on the walls, as they cannot be properly viewed so any detail has to be in the floor, which in this case the flagstones and the mosaic icons give the notion of quality and detail I want to include in the Blue Ox Inn.

@Jax - I'm glad it made you smile, I'm starting to feel better myself.

While I want to make some money with this project, I also realize that generic maps, while useful and needed are not necessarily big money draws, however, I am counting on the 'long tail of marketing' where this overall map collection will be useful for years to come, so by keeping it available online it should continuously generate an income stream over the long haul of many years to come.

Even after this project grows in map sets, I've got inklings of creating a set of modern map locations in a similar vein, but using my digital style rather than my hand-drawn style for modern settings, including things like: a convenience store, an office complex, a power plant, a strip mall, a nightclub, a typical store, etc.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-11-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Being a big fan of Tavern/Inn and general building interior maps, I'm really enjoying this. Great Work.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Default Fixed misaligned artwork - blue ox inn and stables

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Being a big fan of Tavern/Inn and general building interior maps, I'm really enjoying this. Great Work.
    Thanks, jtougas! I enjoy building interior maps as well.

OK, I've created the stables area and attached to the side of the Blue Ox Inn. Next I have to create the Innkeeper's home and outhouse, as well as finish the wall enclosure - all going behind the Blue Ox main building. After this I will begin to create the various map objects needed to fill this.

I do have a 'topside of guild' tavern map, I created a while back for another project that didn't pan out, so I will be using that hand-drawn tavern and courtyard area as the second tavern of this collection. So I just need to create two more tavern layout's and call this first collection of the town maps fulfilled.

Below is the Blue Ox, so far... Edit: I reattached the map, fixing a misaligned linework over the stable area.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue-ox-and-stables-edit.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	35039
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-12-2011 at 04:44 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

It is excellent work. I like the wagon wheel ruts, it gives the stables a very real feel.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Its one of the main reasons I do hand-drawn maps: a) I can draw - I have some talent into hand-drawn work. b) While I also work in 3D, the difficulties in trying to texture map a 3D object is often more time consuming than what it takes me to 'wing it' with a pen, then scanned and colored in Xara Xtreme. If I could effectively texture map a 3D object accurately and quickly I might be doing that instead, but drawing for me is faster and easier.

While accurately depicting the objects within a map is very important to me, doing so quickly is even more important. Doing the work by hand, I know I will get the 'look' I am after and doing so quickly so I can finish a project in a timely fashion. Plus many, especially publishers often prefer hand-work to digital creations, so it doubly works in my favor.

Trying to create ruts in 3D can be done, but is ineffectively slow process, so I create by hand exactly what I intend in the final map.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Blue Ox Inn - map final

OK, I finished the base map for the Blue Ox Inn. The structure in the top right corner is the innkeeper's home, no need for a kitchen as the inn's kitchen is quite close, so only a living/work room and a bed chamber. The outhouse sits in the alley between the innkeeper's home and delivery shed, where inn supplies are dropped off from wagons in the stable area. Tomorrow night I will create all the map objects. Moving right along...

GP

Name:	blue-ox-inn-final.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	35066
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Guild Tavern map

Here's the tavern map I created about 6 months ago for a different project. Though its already posted here, I can't find the file in the image attachment manager here, so I am uploading a 100 ppi version just for posting in this thread. Note this map contains many of the map objects I intend for this set - in other words, I don't have to recreate most of the map objects as they already exist, though I still need to create a few.

I called this originally the Guild Tavern, as it was supposed to be the topside site over an understreet/sewers connected thieves guild headquarters. Though I don't need the inference for this map.

Its actually a 'pretty' tavern map layout, so it works for a nice alternate tavern/inn location. It follows the same style as the Blue Ox Inn, therefore already fits the map set collection well.

GP

Name:	guild-tavern.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	35070
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-13-2011 at 12:27 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

How quickly do you churn these sort of maps out?
    Regards,

RK

Blog Entries

HOLY FREAKIN MOLY THAT THING IS AWESOME.

Dude, seriously! It looks pro!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast