Thread: Anyone handy at making Flash programs?

Default Anyone handy at making Flash programs?

Hello fellow cartographers,

I am after a fairly specific little program to help me with some world-building.

The long and the short of it is this; I need an automatic heraldic shield generator. I will have a body of preset symbols, icons and colour schemes, each of which will represent a province, an army, a legion, a regiment, and a company.

For example, "Province A" might have a red and orange shield background, Army 1 might be represented by an eagle rampant facing left, Legion 1 of Army 1 might have a warthog rampant facing right. A symbol will appear in the top right hand to represent the regiment, and another one in the top left to represent the company. Additional options may be that if a particular regiment is assigned to the City Guard, then a crown will appear above the two rampant animals.

By selecting which one of each, the program will automatically spit out what their shield would look like.

Is this doable at all with any great degree of difficulty?

If someone is able to provide me with a proof of concept, I will be more than happy to negotiate a fee for a fully-fledged workable tool. This would save me many headaches.
    Regards,

RK

Hi Ryan, do you really need to automate the process?

Why not just use something like inkscape, have all your images to one side, enable snapping and drag and drop them onto your shield? I use drawplus which is like inkscape, and attach a screenie of the process I would use.

If you're not too fussy about the symbols there are already some superb heraldic generators on line which will describe in heraldic language the design you've chosen. another one here: http://www.sleepingdog.org.uk/flash/heraldry/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shields.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	34940  

I was, rather. I suppose it is unnecessary.
    Regards,

RK

Blog Entries

Assuming that all the online heraldic shield generators are not giving the style you want already then I would do the following:

If all the shields are the same size such that the logos for them will all go into the same position to look right then you could code that up just using HTML and PNG files with clear backgrounds. Then by using a form and a cgi script to write them out you could have a web page that you select the icons and it would make it. There is no need for flash programming.

If this were me and I had to do this such that it could be scripted then I would use image magick which makes this sort of thing real easy.