Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Land of Onin

Guild Applicant

Default The Land of Onin

Hello,

This is my first attempt at a map. I'm currently working on a series of fantasy novels and drew this up for myself to get a better grasp of the world I'm creating.

I did this in photoshop using brushes and got a lot of help from the various tutorials on this site - so I felt it only fair to give back as much as I take and post the product here. The coastline here is loosely based on the SW coastline of Great Britain. That will likely change with subsequent drafts, as well as a few place names, I'm sure.

I'm open to any input anyone may have. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Onin (small).jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	35027

Good first post, and an excellent first map Had you not mentioned it was based on the south coast of England, I might not have noticed, but now .. Aw heck, it's still beautiful. I would love to see if you experiment with a different coast line done in the same style, so I will be watching this project with great interest. Duly repped

And of course, welcome to the Guild, you will be a great addition to our motley crew.
    Regards,

RK

*WeeeOooo-WeeeOooo* Please Pull Over! This is the River Police and you are direct Violation of Section 1.1.1 of the River Act!

Seriously. It is a very beautiful map, very well done, and quite stunning in its simplicity. Unfortunately, you have a few river violations in the southern portion(do not feel Bad, I did a lot of them myself years ago too.

Basically the tennents of river formation are that water flows downhill following the path of least resistance. That said, a Lake may have many rivers feeding into it, but only one river egressing out. Additionally, a river will only fork when flowing downstream under very specific situations: To form an island,or in a river Delta.

Welcome to the Guild, and a very nice map once again!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Uh-oh, River Police! I gots to hide my stash!
    Regards,

RK

Blog Entries

Nice map. Although sorry to say, my first thought when I saw the title was, "The land of onanism"?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Blog Entries

Holy crap! THATS YOUR FIRST MAP?!

Now I feel bad about myself.

Dude, that looks freakin AWESOME

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent job. I am a huge fan of this style of map,especially if its for a novel. Readers like to be able to look at the place their reading about and this map is perfect for that. Have some rep.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

As NeonKnight meant to say, the rivers south of Lake Shehezar are a little implausible in terms of gravity-based physics. Also, the river flowing out of Sarloch would be at least the same size as the one flowing in if there isn't any underground outlet and the lake is roughly at equilibrium with its surrounding hydraulics systems.

That said, though, the composition is clear and the line treatment on the rivers is very well done. I like the use of multiple sizes of mountain symbols to give a sense of depth. Overall, I rate this map highly. It's certainly better than the stuff I come up with.

One thing that you might want to consider is the addition of a scale bar to help us understand how large an area we're looking at. The classic labeling technique is in distance units of the realm, but some folks prefer to describe their distances in terms of days. When time-based units are used, then those units might end up alongside the roads themselves rather than having an overall scale bar for the map.

Also in the river violations category: Crosshatch river running sea-to-sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Nice map. Although sorry to say, my first thought when I saw the title was, "The land of onanism"?
    I did consider an "Oninism" joke, but what threatened to cause immature giggling was when I then saw Riker's Knob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast