Thread: The Blackmarsh Lowlands

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map The Blackmarsh Lowlands

This map was a test of my ability to use Wilbur and it's heightfields. It turned into (as so many of maps do) into an excuse to do a little writing. The finish of the map was done in GIMP.

WIP Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Blackmarsh Lowlands.jpg 
Views:	1023 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	34974
    Last edited by jtougas; 04-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Nicely done Jtougas! I like the color-texture combo. I've just begun playing around with Wilbur myself and so I can appreciate the difficulty involved in getting height fields and gradient-maps just so (or at least it's proven difficult for me anyway!).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey that is really cool. I haven't used Wilbur myself so I can't comment on that but this looks really rich and beautiful.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Nicely done Jtougas! I like the color-texture combo. I've just begun playing around with Wilbur myself and so I can appreciate the difficulty involved in getting height fields and gradient-maps just so (or at least it's proven difficult for me anyway!).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks. I'm still working on getting things to do what I want in Wilbur. It's an awesome bit of software. My real focus with it is to get rivers and hills/mountains that look realistic. Stay tuned for a new Kingdom of Shendenflar Map done in this style.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Hey that is really cool. I haven't used Wilbur myself so I can't comment on that but this looks really rich and beautiful.
    Thanks Jax. You were actually the inspiration for me to try this.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Beautiful Map. I wonder if you should put more MTS to the north of Black Marsh. I am curious if anyone has done any tutorials on Wilbur. The coloring is impressive.

I love the colours in this, I just posted another Wilbur map where I went very pastel.

Nice to see what others are doing, especially when it is very inspiring, like this.

Very beautiful map, the colors are excellent and I love what you did with the hills. Now I want to play with Wilbur!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice work on this. I love the saturated colours.

For the heightfield - you seem to have very sharp edges on the river banks - they seem to be the steepest elevations in the map. I'd expect that the hardest edges would be the hills?

Really nice work - and it's great to see more people working in Wilbur. Repped and rated!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Nice work on this. I love the saturated colours.

For the heightfield - you seem to have very sharp edges on the river banks - they seem to be the steepest elevations in the map. I'd expect that the hardest edges would be the hills?

Really nice work - and it's great to see more people working in Wilbur. Repped and rated!
    Thank you very much. As for the rivers your right they give the impression of being almost canyons especially in the "Blackmarsh" I think this happened due to me tweaking the heightfield after Wilbur.

Finished Maps