Thread: Pic Lens photoviewer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Pic Lens photoviewer

I came across piclens while was a-surfing over lunch.

It's supposed to give you instant full screen views of images on the web. Going to download it tonight and give it a go but just posting here to a. remind myself of the link and b. give everyone an opportunity of testing it for themselves.

You sir just made my day!!!! Repped!!!! This has got to be one of the best plugins I have ever seen!!

Robbie, please tell me that you can enable this site to use it. Oh man... This is incredible!!!

Thank you a million Ravs!!!! I am going to go post to my blog about this and to ever forum. This rocks on toast with caviar!!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I've shown my co-workers here and they have gone gaga over it. I sent the makers an email and asked them what needs to be done to make a site work with it.

By the way, you are going to want to use FireFox (or Safari) with it. FF and Safari provide a whole lot more features than IE does when you use it. I installed it on both IE and FF (don't have a Mac), and FF has a superior implementation.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I've shown my co-workers here and they have gone gaga over it. I sent the makers an email and asked them what needs to be done to make a site work with it.

By the way, you are going to want to use FireFox (or Safari) with it. FF and Safari provide a whole lot more features than IE does when you use it. I installed it on both IE and FF (don't have a Mac), and FF has a superior implementation.
    Depends-

To use the PicLens Lite, you need to install server code (javascript + flash) and add a media RSS feed to the image in the page. It produces results similar to Lightbox2/Lytebox/greybox, etc.

The magic of the browser plugin seems to be only dependent on the generation of the photos.rss file on a page.

Interesting stuff.

-Rob A>

The thing I'm looking at is that you can combine this interface with something like M$'s Surface and have an incredible picture browsing experience. Now all we need is a holographic monitor and motion sensors for hand movements and we are geeking out big time.

Link Piclens

Piclens is a browser add in for Safari, Firefox, or IE. It will work on either the Mac or Windows OS (I don't know when and if they'll have Linux support).

What makes it so nifty is that you can browse image and video sites (Youtube, Deviantart, Picasa, and others) and see your search results as a 3d "ribbon" that consists of images 3 high. Clicking on image causes it to blow up, displaying the picture or playing the video. When you have scores of pages to click through of search results, Piclens is really nice, since all you have to do is move the slider and you'll go through all the results (the ribbon is as long as the search results from your query, so a search that returns thousands of images can be quite long), not just a page's worth.

Absolutely!! PicLens is one of my favorite plugins and the guys that develop it are really open and nice to talk to and always looking for beta testers.

However... this was discussed here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1436

Please make sure to do a search on the overall site before posting to make sure the topic hasn't already been brought up.

Just so that we don't get too much redundancy. I'm appending this thread to the existing one.

Hey Robbie, check this out: http://piclens.com/lite/webmasterguide.php

It's instructions on how to enable a website to support Piclens. I did a cursory overview and it looks like we should be able to enable it here, but you would be the expert on that. What do you think?