Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** April 2011 Challenge - Aquatic Civilization ***

Blog Entries

Default *** April 2011 Challenge - Aquatic Civilization ***

*** April 2011 Challenge - Aquatic Civilization ***

We have little time for a challenge this month, all of the community leaders having been distracted by shiny baubles and other things. While I urge participants to "keep it simple" so that they can complete in time, I know it can be difficult to express some ideas in a short time. Typically, the less time is available for the contest, the greater the advantage to the best idea rather than the best technique. So if you've been afraid to get your feet wet, mixing it up with the others in the main challenge, then this is probably a great month to start. The others may have an advantage in workflow and implementation, but your ideas are as good as anyone's, so get to it!

This month's theme is an "Aquatic Civilization". The scope of that civilization is up to you, but the rule-that-shall-not-be-broken this month is that the civilization must be of the underwater-aquatic variety rather than just island-dwelling or coastal. Think of this as decorating a fish tank... on steroids.

Slightly off-topic: if you Google "Bikini Bottom", you might get more than you bargained for.

So whether you chose to map the lost city of Atlantis, the home of The Little Mermaid or the Land of the Soggy Zombies, there area few differences to consider when mapping underwater:

• It helps to suggest that the area mapped is underwater somehow, or the point may be missed.
    • There are no rivers under water, although there may be currents, channels and trenches that are reminiscent of them.
    • Walls are less useful in an environment where most inhabitants can swim over them.
    • Roads are possible, but swimmers would be more apt to use guide markers instead.
    • Structures far too delicate to survive the rigors of topside are possible in the deep.

Something else to consider: is your civilization one that was built from the ground up in this environment, or is it a "drowned land", one that was built above water but then suffered some catastrophe?

Whatever it's origins, all factors should influence the look and feel of your underwater environment.

As always, good luck to all of you, and don't be afraid to jump in and get your feet wet!

=================
    LEGAL MUMBO JUMBO
    =================
    Any member of the Cartographer's Guild is eligible to enter the monthly challenge.
    No update to an entry will be permitted once the threads are locked for voting. Moderators will inform members of the impending lock down whenever someone remembers, which is somewhat iffy.
    Challenge will usually be locked down about five days prior to the end of the month, with a new challenge being posted sometime between then and the beginning of the next month.
    All are encouraged to enter the monthly challenge. Only one (or maybe two) win the challenge each time, but everyone who enters learns something about their craft and makes the event more fun for all involved.
    A stitch in time saves nine.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Cool challenge, guys. Doubt I can take part but looking forward to seeing what folks come up with!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, I'd avoid Googling Bikini Bottom as well...and don't ogle them either when the missus is around. I wonder if I can think up something for this.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

I hope I'm not the only one who gets the irony that Mr. Krabs lives in Bikini Bottom....

err, uh, Best of luck to the participants!

I have a concept and everything but am bit apprehensive to try it out.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

What a fun Challenge.. I will try and participate! If I can!

Just go for it, Geamon! What's the worst that could happen?
    Regards,

RK

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We'll snicker up our sleeves then boil him in oil.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Would a floating city be a permissible entry?

Might be crazy enough to actually give this a go, though considering my last city took me three months to complete I may have to find some shortcuts.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast