Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2011 Challenge Entry: Beacon Station Awaterra 6

Default April 2011 Challenge Entry: Beacon Station Awaterra 6

Okay, I have an idea and not a lot of time, perfect.

Ever sinse I did the night overlay of the Escape the Estate map I've been looking for a reason to play around with dark blues and glows, now I have it. Also, I just watch the Young Justice episode "Downtime" so I've been wanting to take a crack at an undersea setting.

What I'm thinking is like a small underwater military outpost of sorts, the general backstory is that a once powerful and advanced amphibious race were forced into the sea when the"lesser land animals" rose up and over threw them. So my outpost is going to be sleek, futuristic but bearing all the little quirks and features of a mostly aquaitc race. I'm also going to be adding some ruins and craters, just to give the hint that maybe the land animals have tried to attack Awaterra 6, depth charges and the like.

Below is a very rough plan for my map.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rough Plan.jpg 
Views:	3054 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	35067  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Woops, can one of the mods please change the thread title to have April Challenge, my net crashed while writing so I forgot to add it in when rewriting.

Also, here the first two WIPS for my map, the first is the original terrain from GeoControl, the second is all the base colour and texturing laid down, I'm colouring it as though it were on land and them adding blue filters and colour balances to add an underwater feel.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Awaterra-06 3D.bmp 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	35099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awaterra-06.jpg 
Views:	3990 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	35100  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 04-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Woops, can one of the mods please change the thread title to have April Challenge, my net crashed while writing so I forgot to add it in when rewriting.
    Done.

-Rob A>

^Thank you RobA.

Some progress made on the map. I've added tiles around the base, I know as it's underwater walking isn't necissary but the tiles are there really out of habit, to mark the proper "swimming lanes", providing a more stable surface for setting up heavy equipment and for landing vehicles. I'm also going to be adding markings to the larger areas of tiles.

I've also added in the basic structures. Next I'll be detailing the land a bit more before moving onto detailing the buildings.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	69 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	35154  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Great to seeing the progress, LWD!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks Gamerprinter.

Some more progress, added in patches of sea weed, some lava vents (will add a glow later), added in some turbines and pipework, carved some markings into the large sections of tiles, adjusted some of the buildings and started adding details to the buildings. Will start adding more details like portholes, seams in the buildings, little gizmoes and other misc markings.

More to come soon.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	74 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	35168  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's lookin' fantastic so far, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Ascension

Tweaked some of the structures, added details to the roofs of the buildings, added building entrances, added more tiles, tweaked some of the markings and added a "light" bridge over the trench. More work to come soon.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	138 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	35183  

Having been freed from distractons I have made more progress than originally intended tonight. Below are two pics, the first is the semi-completed map without water effects, I'll be adding more misc items around the base like more vehicles and maybe crew and such. The second pic is the same map but with "underwater" effect and some bubbles added, I think it worked out nice.

Playing around with base lighting and adding more details, more progress to come soon.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Awaterra-06 Light.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	35197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awaterra-06 Dark.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	35198  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 04-24-2011 at 12:47 AM.

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, unless someone can find some major problems I've overlooked (which wouldn't surprise me), I think I will call it done. That took a lot less time than I thought, maybe I'm just easy to please.

Added in the lighting, the crew for interior and exterior areas (kind of hard to see but they are there) to give the base a populated feel, added more vehicles, fiddled with the details on buildings, added a border, a title and added a sublte watermark.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Awaterra 06.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	35227  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast