Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A style experiment

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Wip A style experiment

Hiya folks!

I'm currently experimenting with different styles being combined in one map and now I'd like to know what you think of it. It's a mix between satelite style and some sort of a cartoonish style (the black outlines of the landmass and forest textures). Do you think it works well together?

Please bare with me for the poor "mountains". I have not yet decided on how to do them, style-wise. Rivers are still missing too and the border frame and the fonts/labels are actually more of a provisional thing. Just wanted to see how it works out together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamedmap3.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	35106

I'm grateful for critique and suggestions.

Blog Entries

I really like this. The oceans look especially beautiful. The only thing I thought looked a little weird was the outline of the forests, in black, might be giving the forests a really flat look. The texture on them looks great, but just where they meet the sand, especially on the North West, looks a little wonky.

I agree with Murcu in most parts.. Except I only think the Oceans look particularly good when zoomed out. In close I think they clash with the other parts of the map. And, I can't say I like the mountain.. It just doesn't pop out.. I had to look to spot it a little also.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

So I take it as a 'no' then - the two styles don't work all that great with one another. Okay then, that's alright. The world keeps turning.

I more or less dropped the outlines of the landmass and forests and aimed towards some more realistic textures. Still not really happy with the forests yet but I think they'll do for now. I also toned down the colors a bit (probably too much) and added a test mountain. Will have to make it pop out more though and I think I'd be able to do that with some relief shading. Hmm, yeah, gonna try that later. Might also work with the forests. *crossfingers* But for now I'll grab me some sleep, so here's the current WIP as is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unbenannt2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	35131

Blog Entries

Actually man I think this is a huuuuuge improvement. I definitely dig it. No complaints here.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The ocean texture is a little "large" It kind of gives the impression of giant rifts and ridges with a few feet of water over them. Your landmass texture is awesome I wouldn't touch that and your forests are fine as well. I almost missed the "Gump" joke...LMAO
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

LOL I did miss it! I was like "Oh, looks like a typo where he meant to write Camp"

I'm a retard.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very dynamic. Me likey.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That ocean/water is gorgeous. Is that a pattern, or did you make it yourself?

Hey guys!

Sorry for not responding here for so long. I had some trouble with my PC and also things to do in my other life, so I couldn't get back to my hobbies as much as I wanted to. Anyway, muchas gracias for all your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond
    That ocean/water is gorgeous. Is that a pattern, or did you make it yourself?
    Hah, I wish! Those are just a bunch of "GIMP-generated" textures. IIRC it's a mix of different cloud and noise layers which happened to turn out nicely when mashed together.

Here's a small update on the map. Luckily, I made a backup of all my files before the trouble with my PC started. It was an older version of the map though, so the test mountain is missing and the forests are also different from how I had them last time. Next step, however, will be mountains and rivers, I guess.

NOTE: Colors are probably WAY off. I can't tell unfortunately, because I am on a different monitor now, which has some really weird setups when it comes to color, brightness, saturation and contrast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast