Thread: Wacom Bamboo stylus for iPad...

Default Wacom Bamboo stylus for iPad...

I bought myself a $19.95 stylus back in December and it's "meh". I received the press release pasted below today and am thinking that it might be a nice thing to have. Hopefully this isn't considering spamming...I don't work for Wacom. Really I don't!

Wacom Introduces Bamboo Stylus for iPad

Design, ergonomics and natural feel deliver premium writing and sketching experience to iPad users
    VANCOUVER, Wash., April 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Drawing on its experience and pedigree achieved through the development of professional and consumer pen tablets and interactive pen displays, Wacom® today announces Bamboo™ Stylus, a new input device created specifically for use with the Apple® iPad®. Bamboo Stylus offers an intuitive and natural way to experience note-taking, sketching, drawing, and other forms of creative expression on the iPad.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110420/SF85688-a)

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110420/SF85688-b)

A Stylus with Style

The authentic and satisfying feel of the Bamboo Stylus is achieved through subtle design elements, such as a sophisticated black and silver design with satin-textured metal body and balanced weighting. The tip of the stylus is 25 percent narrower (6mm vs. 8mm) in diameter than some of the other most popular solutions on the market today. Combining ergonomic comfort and a firmer feel, the Bamboo Stylus offers a premium digital inking experience for handwriting notes, highlighting text, editing documents, drawing, sketching and much more.

"A great deal of thought went into the look, feel and weight of the stylus," said Rick Peterson, Director of Consumer Brands at Wacom Technology Services, Corp. in Vancouver, Washington. "We want users to take pride in owning a Bamboo Stylus for its quality craftsmanship and input capabilities as well as its stylish looks.."

Right Time for the "Write" Tool

While touch is the primary input method for the iPad, the stylus has definitely found its place among users, enriching the way they interact with the iPad. The additional functionality of the Bamboo Stylus brings a more accurate and precise way to take notes in meetings and classroom settings, or to sketch out rough ideas while on the go. For example, users can improve their input experience with numerous applications developed for iPad, such as Penultimate™ for note-taking and Autodesk® SketchBook® Mobile for sketching needs.

"The stylus can perform creative tasks that our fingers and touch displays are just not built to handle well," Peterson said. "Users will find that the new Bamboo Stylus provides the accurate pointing and inking requirements they need to supplement touch input."

Bamboo Stylus Availability and Pricing

Bamboo Stylus ($29.99 USD) is expected to be available in mid-May at many national consumer electronic retail outlets. Online shoppers will be able to find Bamboo Stylus at Amazon or at Wacom's online store.

About Wacom

Since 1983, Wacom's vision to bring people and technology closer together through natural interface technologies has made it the world's leading manufacturer of pen tablets, interactive pen displays and digital interface solutions. The advanced technology of Wacom's intuitive input devices has been used to create some of the most exciting digital art, films, special effects, fashions and designs around the world and provides business and home users with the ability to explore digital content creation in a comfortable, natural way. Today, millions of customers use Wacom pen input technology to express their creativity.

For more information, please contact:

Douglas A. Little
    Sr. Public Relations Manager
    Wacom Technology Corp.
    360-896-9833 x174
    douglas.little@wacom.com

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It looks good, but there's no pressure sensitivity which would be the killer for me. Chatting to some of the guys here, apparently it would need to do that thrugh bluetooth or similar, and that would require batteries in the pen, which is a bit of a Wacom no-no I believe.

Love to hear what someone thinks of this if they get it though

Yeah. Pressure sensitivity is the drawback for sure. I've tried the stylus I bought (a short black nub with a half-round tip) and it's sort of useable with SketchBook and ArtRage so I expect the Wacom thing would be better - but if they ever add pressure sensitivity I'll be sold. Even so, it's not too bad for quick sketches and studies.
    M