Thread: My journey towards a frameable painting.

Wip My journey towards a frameable painting.

I recently decided to resume my teenage hobby of drawing city maps. A friend of a friend saw one of my maps and asked me to make him one to give as a gift. The map will be hand drawn on an 18x24 pastel board. Traditionally I've only drawn on paper.

This is my first attempt at a map on pastel board.
    The colored pencil came out poorly so I'll be using water colors or acryic paint on future projects. I'm looking for ideas to improve the environment around the city, the city walls and the docks.

The final map will be framed and hanging on someones wall so I feel a lot of pressure to do an excellent job. I'll post updates as the project progresses and I look forward to any and all input!

Using acrylics first to lay down some solid colors would help. Then choose to continue with acrylics for the details or use colored pencil. If you have solid base colors laid down first, then you won't see the white of the canvas through them. Hope this helps.

Thanks!. I'll try painting the landscape first and then painting the city on top. I've decided to use gauche. I'll be working on my sketches of the new city this week, and will start a practice painting next week.

No advice to offer - you're doing better than I ever could with pencil and paper. I think it looks great so far.

Nice! I would never be able to do something like that by hand. Great job so far!

I can't really give you any usable advise or input, other than saying good luck!