Thread: No Retreat 2: The African Campaign by VPG

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Default No Retreat 2: The African Campaign by VPG

Hey all:

Its been some time since I posted so I though I would update things a bit with what I have been up to. By far the largest project was making up the maps for a war-game called No Retreat2: The African Campaign by Victory Point Games. It was a big project because of its size; they needed 5 maps instead of just one.

The game and maps were actually finished in Illustrator and worked fine. But Alan (head honcho at VPG) asked me if I could punch up the graphics a notch. So I ported the Illustrator files out to Photoshop and went at it. I changed the background textures, but used the in-hex textures that came with the Illustrator files. then I added in all the "fun stuff" like the pictures, the propaganda posters, the tanks and the town images. The towns were ported out of CC3 and look pretty good I think. Better than just the random squares of the original map. also the original maps simiply ended at the last full hex. I hate that! So I boxed all the maps up and added in the (unplayable) partial hexes, to make them look a bit more like there was more to the map that you couldnt see.

This was all done in quite a rush, as the game itself was finished and they wanted to release it ASAP. As it turned out, they then ended up waiting quite a while to actually release it, as other projects kept bumping back the final publication date. I wish I had just a tad more time with it, as there are a few tiny flaws I would have liked to iron out, but its done now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NR2map1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	35116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NR2map2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	432.8 KB 
ID:	35117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NR2map3.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	531.9 KB 
ID:	35118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NR2map4.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	35119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NR2map5.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	429.6 KB 
ID:	35120  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Aha! I found one of the games original Illustrator NR2 maps lurking on my harddrive. So here it is for comparison purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NR2 originalmap 2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	35121  

Those are very nice Tim. Makes me feel like playing one of those Hex board games I have in my closet.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice work - you did a great job in PS. I love the propaganda images - it really grounds the period and feel of the piece.