Thread: The Halls of Ash (Tapestry of Flies Preview Map)

Guild Novice

Map The Halls of Ash (Tapestry of Flies Preview Map)

"The Halls of Ash" is one of five maps for a Pathfinder RPG adventure I am writing called "Tapestry of Flies" which will be distributed as a free download under Paizo's Community Use Liscence once it is complete. This particular map (the second in the set), focuses on the Mortuary of Cindermort Abbey - a monastery devoted to the goddess Pharasma, Lady of Graves. The other areas of the complex explore Pharasma's other interests including birth and prophecy.

This map is my second contribution to the guild and I feel that I have improved somewhat since my first attempt (see Rag's End Orphanage). I have focused on lightening up my shadows and choosing a cohesive color palette. Although I have been trying to introduce more color into my maps, I still find myself gravitating to the desaturated colors, but it since it suits the tone of the adventure, I think I am happy with the overall effect.

Thanks to those who commented on my first piece and I'd love to hear some constructive criticism on this one. (Any if anybody would like to colaborate with me on this project, either as an artist or writer, please drop me a line.)

<Please rate this thread>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOB-1 - The Halls of Ash.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	35133  
    Last edited by Jerett L. Schaufele; 04-16-2011 at 12:27 PM.

This is a wonderful adventure reference map Jerett, really top-notch! I'm looking forward to the adventure when you finish it (I'm an avid Pathfinder player and DM, all of my maps are almost always geared towards our PF games).

I think the use of such mute tones works for this map piece, it conveys the feeling of a faded document. Along those lines the only suggestion I could possibly think of would be to blur up or feather the lines that still show minor pixelation (primarily just the outdoor roads/paths), and possibly even try to gritty-up the illustrated sections to go for an all-out document/parchment look. However, seeing as the image would be scaled down to page size, the rough pixel edges will probably disappear in the process.

Sooooo, awesome map!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love the trees. Colors are easy on the eyes as well. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice work!
    M

Excellent work on the map. Don't worrie about the color, it looks fine. I have one question though. As I follow the map from the front door down to the basement and into the catacombs, I dont see the side enterance and path from the catacombs on the mini map (bottom right map).
    "We might experience some turbulence, then explode." - Mal, Firefly

Guild Novice

Excellent pick-up Port Paladine. This mistake happened when I had to shorten corridor E2 to fit within the extents of the map border. It used to travel much further underground, but should appear on the mini-map given its new length.
    Thanks!

Beautiful map! Like Ascension and Port Paladine have already said, the colors are soft and pleasant.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very nice map. Love the colours, and it's a great reference map for an adventure. I'd suggest placing a gradient shadow on the steps to give some idea of which staircases go up and go down. The one thing that doesn't quite work for me is the metal tag on the top left. The letter look like they're floating above the surface, and this is one place where the faded colours don't seem to work so well.

Otherwise, a beautiful piece of work with a lot of very careful subtlety. Good stuff!