Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Logo

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default New Logo

As you might have noticed I have a new avatar. I created it for a "portfolio" website (that I haven't created yet). I could use some feedback on whether or not it's any good. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final logo.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	35156
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

You're going logo mad like the rest of us! My only word of caution is that the text going across the logo 'John Tougas Fantasy Cartography' ('the Slogan') is going to be hard or impossible to read at reduced sizes. I love the name though. Maybe you should put the Slogan in bigger writing underneath or on top?

Echo what Rav's said. At a reduced size the text looks kinda like a blade sticking into the compass. If your gonna reduce size to watermark a map or stamp with you may wanna remove the actual text and add it as needed in what your labeling.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

I think the answer here is just to have a few designs, all the same, but as they get smaller some elements fall out. Like the type, have a version without it. I would suggest making the design in B/W for the reason of clarity... I think the map element in the back could be simplified, maybe JT could have a white outline to make it break away from that element.
    I like the JT it could almost stand by itself.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was going to say a fat black stroke around the JT to match the background compass stroke but white might work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That looks pretty cool. You might also give it a shot with a lighter colored compass behind the JT which might make it pop. You'll have to see. Nice design though.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Everything I was going to suggest has already been covered...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I like it! I can't add something to the other comments.

Some advice I was given a while ago was to draw my logos with a fat sharpie. That will typically ensure that they will look right in black-and-white and that they will scale down well. The advice is not universally applicable, but it's good for most of the icon logos I've made.

More specific suggestions for this logo: redraw the compass rose in a vector tool so it isn't blurry, strive for some color harmony between the rose and the monogram (kuler.adobe.com is a good resource for color), and drop the text into a separate wordmark above, below or to one side of the logo icon. I would probably also simplify the center decoration in the rose so that it doesn't interfere with the monogram.

I really like the shape of the monogram itself; it looks like a backward "pi."
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the advice. To be honest I had never even thought about using this as a watermark but now that makes sense. The original design was just for the website but I can see the value in a coherent "scheme". After some thought I simplified it a bit by removing the compass. Here is the new version. It's still fairly small but I think I like this design better. I'll probably tweak the size a little but I can see me using just the "JT" part for marking my maps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jtnew.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	35169
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast