There are a number of mapping methods and program tools that can take you to your goal. Each has its own learning curve and level of difficulty. With some, those curves can be pretty steep. We've found that the very best program for what you want to do is Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 from NBOS Software, for two reasons:
1) The relatively low learning curve of FM8 compared to other cartographic programs.
2) The multi-zoom ability of FM8 with raster maps. I know of no other cartographic program that can come up to FM8's measure in this respect.
Fortunately, you can evaluate it all for yourself at no cost:
1) Download the free trial version of FM8 at:
2) Download the starting tutorial (PDF) at:
3) Download our free raster mapping tutorial for FM8 at:
The raster mapping tutorial has a full section on implementing the multi-zoom features of FM8.