Thread: The Known Lands

Map The Known Lands

After countless, painful tries of drawing the map of my world I've finally got it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Real COS Map13.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	35181

It's really hard to draw a map for a world you've been writing about. Like you can never get it just right. Never. I drew at least five maps from scratch before taking the easy route and letting fractal terrains generate land masses for me. I gave up when I couldn't find anything. And then, one day while thinking about my world it popped into my head. It was one of those vague thoughts that you hardly notice at all. It almost slipped away before I realized what I was seeing in my head. I saw the map. Three land masses.

And here's the result!

I kept the look similar to what you would find in a book.

I tried to make it old looking with the colors. I don't think I quite succeeded but I like it. There's no mountains but it'll be a while before I add those. I gotta do the research and stuff before I attempt the mountains. So for now, I'm calling it finished!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Well done, madam!
    The label AWRIN is a little bit hard to read before the dark grey sea background and the black outline of the landmasses.
    If you think you need more old-looking-style you can always try to add a parchment or folds, or some dirt stains.

Oh, I see. I'll try to change that, thanks

The stains sound like a good idea! I haven't tried to do anything like that so I'll have to experiment.

Thank you

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I agree with Sapiento on that - a nice parchment background would be great for this. Have a google around for old parchment textures or search for 'paper' on CGtextures.com. That should get you started. Welcome to the Guild, and congratulations on your first map!