Thread: EvoMouse

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is pretty cool...thx for posting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow thats pretty neat. That could make my drawing a whole lot easier. Although it would still require talent so until they make software for that...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My right ring finger drags the surface when I'm using my mouse (which is 95% of the time) and it has developed a smooth and slick spot that sometimes makes holding on to things difficult. So while this is cool, I don't want any more smooth spots on my fingers. Now if it could work with a pencil...heck yeah, I'd get me a few of 'em.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Indeed. I've seen a lot of gimmicky mouse "replacements" which all seem to forget the two important things that mice have conveniently prevented since their invention: screen smudging and painful friction. Don't get me wrong--a lot of these products have a certain market in people who for whatever reason need them. But I think it's a little foolhardy to continue trying to sell them to people who don't. Trust me on this: if you want to draw better on a computer, just get a tablet. They probably last longer, too.
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

Wow, that looks really cool!

Most laptops these days use a track pad, but I've never heard of people complaining of painful friction before. Is it really that common? It seems like the surface you're using would have a lot to do with it.

I've been stuck on my laptop without a USB mouse before. Sure, if you're just casually using your laptop (or computer with EvoMouse, or anything else that requires you abrate your finger on a not-perfectly-smooth surface) it probably won't bother you. But I'm a gamer, I do my cartography and various other projects, and I work from a computer, so all in all I spend almost twelve hours a day using a mouse. I think by hour six I'd be looking for fingertip replacements like the guitarist from Black Sabbath.
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

I saw a keyboard based on the same notion a while back. It laser-projected an outline of the keys on the desk and sensed the user's finger locations by detecting where the laser light broke. The plus was that it was tiny and could be used everywhere. The minus was that touch-typing is impossible when you don't have the tactile feedback of a physical keyboard. Of course, now the keyboard is simply displayed on your iPad's screen, and you have the same problem. Plus being able to only use one hand since the other is holding the tablet.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name