Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone :)

Post Hello Everyone :)

Hello,
    This is Mannfred from India. I am a final year Computer Applications student and an aspiring epic fantasy artist. I am still in the stage of mapping my worlds when I arrived at a teenie weenie problem - I do not know how to map a continent. So, I googled for a while and came here to learn from the Pros. And frankly, I am blasted away by all these exotic maps I could see here. I hope to learn how to sketch out a decent set of maps for my novel. It is an epic fantasy as I said and so requires lots of detailed mapping.

Please point me in the right direction if you have the spare time to reply. I am currently looking at some of the Quickstart guides. Thank you very much for this forum. I'm being inspired from my bones.

-
    Mannfred

Welcome! And you are right. I was speechless when I saw all the great mappers on this site. But to start you off, look at a guy named "Ascension" he has some excellent tutorials. I think I can post a link to them.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/se...=1&forumchoice
    Last edited by Port Paladine; 04-22-2011 at 07:01 AM.
    "We might experience some turbulence, then explode." - Mal, Firefly

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

There are plenty of great tutorials in the Tutorial Forum
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you for your links. I am reading the tutorials and trying to make them apply for my maps. I have a questions though. I am good at hand-drawing map outlines then drawing with the mouse. And I cannot afford a tablet right now. So, can anyone give me a suggestion on how to port my hand drawn maps to the image editors and use it just as if it had been drawn in it? I tried taking a photo of it with my mobile phone at 1600x1200 resolution and use it in Photoshop. But, the image is not the same as a canvas... Am I doing it the COMPLETELY wrong way?

-
    Mannfred
    Last edited by Mannfred; 04-22-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Well, I started out using my digital camera as well but a friend of mine gave me a scanner he no longer needed and that has worked very well for me. So, if you have a scanner, that is probably the best.

If you have to use your camera I think the main thing you want to pay attention to is the number of pixels your shots are being taken in. Then make sure the document you are importing it to is the same. (I'm guessing this is the what caused "the images is not the same as a canvas"?)

Oh, and welcome to the guild.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    (I'm guessing this is the what caused "the images is not the same as a canvas"?)
    Yes. The image looks like an photo placed in the canvas. My camera can take a picture of a maximum of 2MP(1600x1200 in my system pixel count). My canvas is around 2000x2000 pixel large. So, if I use a 1600x1200 pixel canvas, it should be alright. I'll try it and reply. If it doesn't work, I might have to pay and get my outlines scanned in a booth... I do not own a scanner nor can I buy one now. Thanks for the reply.

-
    Mannfred

I tried placing the image in the same size canvas. It still looks exactly like a photo shot from a camera... So, I did this: I traced the outline with a selection tool, got the exact outline, pasted it in another layer and filled it with a solid black. This roughly gave me the shape of my continent. I deleted the background photo containing layer and made the new layer my background and continued working on it. I think this is one way of doing it.

-
    Mannfred

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

well, it sounds to me like you got a decent work around. Post up a WIP (Work In Progress) thread and we can actually see how things are going, and give help and/or suggestions as you go.

And welcome to the Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web
    Last edited by Korash; 04-23-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typos......*sigh*
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    well, it sounds to me like you got a decent work around. Post up a WIP (Work In Progress) thread and we can actually see how things are going, and give help and/or suggestions as you go.
    Done. Posted. Its here. Please take a look. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    And welcome to the Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web
    Thanks. I'm pleased to be here too.

-
    Mannfred
    Last edited by Mannfred; 04-24-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added link to WIP thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast