Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help save my map!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Once you start learning the tricks to CC3, you can start taking advantage of such tools as:

• Drawing double lines
    • Exploding Polygons (so you can delete portions of them)
    • Using the Trace command (something I don't know how to use yet believe it or not )
    • Using copy command
    • And then using the Multipoly command to put it all back together again
    Yeah, these CAD commands, skills and tools are the real power under the hood of CC3... and they only just scratch the surface!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Guild Apprentice

OK, i started over. It is starting to look better, although it still looks pretty n00bish.

I would appreciate any criticisms you folks have

On the eastern side of the woods bordering the mountains a river ends. I had drawn a lake there, but when I went back to a full size map the lake disappeared and I cannot seem to find it. I have drawn it 2 or 3 times and it keep disappearing. I think it is on the wrong layer, but i cant seem to isolate it to find it so i can change the properties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campaign area2.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	2363  
    Last edited by eleran; 02-16-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Did a little more work this morning. Got the stupid lake to stay put this time. I am getting happier and happier with this map, but would still like to see everyone elses suggestions.

Name:	winterheath area.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	2383  

Question Is your river running from ocean to ocean?

Is the main east-west river in the middle of your map going from coast to coast. Unless I'm wrong, its seems that the water on either side of the map is ocean. (or is one or the other a lake?)

If they are both the sea, rivers don't originate in an ocean and drain in another ocean. The river should start from higher elevations and drain to the sea, not travel across the entire land mass.

Sorry, I find this confusing...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Apprentice

Sorry, it wasn't clear. The body of water on the west side is a large lake very much like one of the Great Lakes.

Info You need to add some more labels...

You have your towns, swamp and other geographic terrains labeled. But I see no label for your ocean and lake - which would have really helped me understand and not make the perception error I made in my last post.

You seem to getting along with CC3 well. Try some "sheet effects" and transparent levels to get some more variation with your terrain.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

With the Spiderhaunt woods, is the river going through the Forest? If so, you have two options.

1: Put the RIVERS sheet lower on the list (thus higher on the map) than the forest so the river is drawn ontop of the forest.

2: When putting the Forest Icons down, split them to show the river. Example, place down the forest, edging etc on one side of the river first, then put down the icons edgings etc on the otherside of the siver, almost as if you were drawing two seperate forests right next to each other.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    With the Spiderhaunt woods, is the river going through the Forest? If so, you have two options.

1: Put the RIVERS sheet lower on the list (thus higher on the map) than the forest so the river is drawn ontop of the forest.

2: When putting the Forest Icons down, split them to show the river. Example, place down the forest, edging etc on one side of the river first, then put down the icons edgings etc on the otherside of the siver, almost as if you were drawing two seperate forests right next to each other.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but this particular thing was done intentionally. The river was something I added after the forest was there. And once I had the river in place I noticed that it disappeared under the forest. I got to thinking about it and I decided that that was alright because it fit into the mood I was trying to set with my description of the woods. Which is that a large band of large spiders have completely taken the woods over and driven out every decent thing that used to live there. I want the forest to be someplace the characters are very reticent to go to until, of course, they need to go there for some malicious purpose I have dreamt up.

Oh and here is an updated map. Lots of suggestions can be made here.

I also have placed 3 structures in the spiderhaunt that a couple of my sharper eyed players have picked up on and are already asking about.

Name:	winterheath area.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	2389  
    Last edited by eleran; 02-17-2008 at 08:30 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Wip

BTW, I was working on the map late last night and I swear I came across a symbol for a mine while looking for something else. Now that I need a symbol for a mine i cannot find it again. Anyone have an idea if I was just overtired or actually saw one somewhere in the CC3 program?

Looking good eleran. Is there a reason why the Wilderland forests have the red /orange/yellow trees only only on the eves? If not, it may be a good idea just to mix them randomly with the forest as a whole.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast