Thread: Territory Shading help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Territory Shading help

High folk, I stumbled across these forums and I am looking for some help with shading a map that I have. I just got Photoshop CSS5 and I really don't know what I am doing. If someone can either help me out, or point me to a tutorial that could help me it would be appreciated.

This is the map that I have. What I am looking to be able to do, is shade in individual territorties in various colours but to have the colours transluent enough so that the names etc can be seen through the shading. I have managed to be able to solid fill in the various regions but not able get the fills translucent to see what is underneither them. I probably just missing some basic setting somewhere. Ideally I want to get the shading to the point where it allows for easy changing between colours (ie to represent different teams claiming different territories) that would be great!

If someone can give me step by step walkthrough or point me to another thread that answers this (i tried the search function but i kept getting a server error) I would be very thankful

I know you can do this in the GIMP, and it should be possible in PS, but can you not just do the solid fill on a layer above the other parts of the map, maybe below the text, and just set the individual layer's opacity to a very low number?
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

Hi Fauthsie, welcome to the site if you can fill your territories as a separate layer all you'll need to do for transparency is move the 'opacity' slider to less than 100% I've attached a jpeg to show you from CS4 which should be the same. The Fill slider does the same thing but will preserve any strokes you have at 100%.

Cheers.

P.S. your map is looking sweet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSopacity.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	35291  

Thanks guys.... That really helped....