Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Different Approach to Galactic Mapping

Quote Originally Posted by bbzwbbzw View Post
    This is a continuation of my Vir Inter Astrum project I've been working on for the past year or so. I got burned out on the hard science setting and have been on hiatus for a while. I've just gotten back into it, but have moved the setting forward 5000 years to make it more operatic and wide open.

So here is my idea for a galactic map. As I'm going with the conceit that FTL travel has become instantaneous and 99.9% error free, I think the idea of geographical distance loses all importance so I'm laying out this map so it's based on the time a political group came into being and the relationships between each of them. As you can see, its very much in the early stages and I'd really love some feedback on it.

I'll also attach some of the ships I'm conceptualizing just to get a handle on the different houses.
    Nice ships! Very Chris Foss.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The ships remind me of a book a friend of mine had back in Jr. High. It had ships from several different races (humans, Proximans, others I can't remember because I'm old )
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow, that's really nice. So nice it's now my wallpaper.
    The crests are really beautifully done.
    I also like the way all the supplicant houses are crowded together. It gives an impression of how the politics might be - a scattering of these "big players" then hundreds of little houses all vying for attention and favour.

Thanks! Unfortunately I had a massive computer crash and lost all this stuff so I have to start from scratch. Bummer. Should be much quicker though, plus I'll be making some adjustments.

Guild Member

I, like Nexis, also thought there was some Foss inspiration in those ships, especially the ones on each side of the black one. Can't go wrong if you're compared to him.

The star map is coming along very uniquely and very appealing.

This isn't usually my kind of thing, but it's gorgeous! The idea behind it was original and the style is very nice to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    The ships remind me of a book a friend of mine had back in Jr. High. It had ships from several different races (humans, Proximans, others I can't remember because I'm old )
    Indeed they do. I have a copy of the book "Spacecraft 2000-2100 AD" and the setting of those books is called Terran Trade Authority. Very cool ship art

I love the background, and the icons for the houses are excellent. One quibble -- the circles for the supplicant houses seem very crowded and busy. As a suggestion, it might make more sense to only show the major supplicants. Still, a very well-done map.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, how did I never notice this before? And will we ever see more of it?

I live up in the mountains, down in a cave, way out west.
    Blog Entries

I love seeing works progress. The crests are especially nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast