Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planet of DURANIN and Satellites

Map Planet of DURANIN and Satellites

This was a rather quick project that I did, I am not a science or math wiz so I'm sure that some of this isn't scientifically correct but I tried to get it close to what I think would be possible. This is the first map of many I'm planning on doing based off of the Valyra galaxy. If anyone spots any significant mistakes please let me know

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duranin_moon.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	62459

I like space maps! Is there a reason you can see the stars through the backside of the planet? Aside from that I think a very simple border, just a white or grey line or a double line would help give this map a feeling of having an edge. Did you paint the planets yourself? They are good looking.

Thanks madcowchef! The reason for the fade on the left side of the planet is mainly because it looks better that way IMO. I will have to think about what kind of border to add I have an idea, but I will have to mess around with it a little. I did paint the planet and moons and I'm glad you like them.

Thoughts on this metallic border?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duranin_moon2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	62521

The metallic border is nice, but a bit too close to the text for my liking.

I agree with madcowchef about seeing the stars behind the planet - it makes the planet look transparent (if it is transparent then that's all cool). Usually the dark side of a planet should either be completely black or just very dark.

Looks great other than that though!

I like the border, makes it look like it should be hanging up in a shuttle transit station somewhere. The white lines going from the text to the planets are very pleasing to the eye, they give it a futuristic feel without taking up too much space visually.

thanks to both of you!

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like these, but I feel you ought to make some minor changes:

- Border is just a little too wide. Distracts from the main part, the planets.
    - The font is way too hard to read. I'd change the font face to something more... sans. The headlines can stay fany, that's fine. Definitely increase the contrast though. It gets lost in the starry background.

What kind of star does this planet orbit? Because 4.3 billion km orbital radius seems excessive. I think you may have had a decimal-placement error, there. That's 30 times as far as the Earth is from the Sun- which might be appropriate around some sort of supergiant or something. I'm not sure. But that's about as far out as Neptune. Which it actually sort of resembles. Are you going for a frozen Pluto-like world? Because this is way outside the habitable zone for most stars that are likely to have habitable planets. There wouldn't be any "wind" or "hail" because even helium would likely be in liquid form- no atmosphere.

One AU- the distance from the Earth to the Sun- is about 150 million km.

OTOH if you did accidentally add three extra zeros then 4.5 million km (with an "m") would work for some red dwarfs. It would almost certainly be tidally locked, though. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitab..._dwarf_systems

EDIT--- Oh, and I found a typo- it's inhabitants, not inhabidants.
    Last edited by acrosome; 03-27-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I like these, but I feel you ought to make some minor changes:

- Border is just a little too wide. Distracts from the main part, the planets.
    - The font is way too hard to read. I'd change the font face to something more... sans. The headlines can stay fany, that's fine. Definitely increase the contrast though. It gets lost in the starry background.
    Thanks, those are some good points, I'll see if I can fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by acrsome View Post
    What kind of star does this planet orbit? Because 4.3 billion km orbital radius seems excessive. I think you may have had a decimal-placement error, there. That's 30 times as far as the Earth is from the Sun- which might be appropriate around some sort of supergiant or something. I'm not sure. But that's about as far out as Neptune. Which it actually sort of resembles. Are you going for a frozen Pluto-like world? Because this is way outside the habitable zone for most stars that are likely to have habitable planets. There wouldn't be any "wind" or "hail" because even helium would likely be in liquid form- no atmosphere.

One AU- the distance from the Earth to the Sun- is about 150 million km.

OTOH if you did accidentally add three extra zeros then 4.5 million km (with an "m") would work for some red dwarfs. It would almost certainly be tidally locked, though. See:

Habitability of red dwarf systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT--- Oh, and I found a typo- it's inhabitants, not inhabidants.
    Thanks for the spelling correction. I know that the planet is far out it is supposed to be. Although the wind and hail point is a good one, I will have to change that. It is not inhabited but that isn't proven yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast