Thread: Modern Rural Town

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Default Modern Rural Town [Resolved]

Messing around with Google maps, I've stitched together a small, rural city for use in a novel I'm writing. I'd like to trace the map and sort of make it my own. I've made some fantasy maps in the past, but doing stuff a the town level in a modern style has proved rather difficult for me. I've searched for tutorials here, but pretty much came up empty handed. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent tutorial? Style doesn't matter as long as it looks modern. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cjs0216; 04-23-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

You probably could just mess around with the belevel and countours to get suburb houses and for skyscrapers you could just paint a large square in a gray and then trace the outside with black to or a dark grey. Not so sure about the rest though. But the roads and houses and skyscrapers should be the easy part.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but in all the years I've been messing around with Photoshop, I never knew how to use the pen tool...so I never used it. I figured it out in Illistrator and things are going fine. Thanks for your help, though.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

No problem.. But, I wouldn't trust my advice to much.. I'm not a veteran.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think style will be important in order to suggest a modern feel. Simple squares to represent buildings could be for any genre. When I think modern I think 2 things - Google style street maps and SimCity ISO. I don't know of any tuts for that here but there may be something on the web somewhere (maybe).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ahh.. I remembered why I love SimCity now. The beauty of making fictional regions and naming them and basically creating them.

I tried SimCity, but I couldn't get it to bend to my will...lol I think that I'm going to start a WIP thread for this map.