Thread: Modern, Rural Town WIP

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Wip Modern, Rural Town WIP

I started asking questions about this over here, and finally finished some prelims of the area. Essentially what I've got is the outlines of streets, so I'll go ahead and post what I've got so far to let you guys see where I'm going with it. The red lines are small roads, the blu medium roads, the green are highway roads and the yellow is railroad tracks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noah-Town-Outlined.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	35306  
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I dig it so far. The linearity and 90 degree corners help the modern feel but there is enough "organicness" to not feel too future techy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I swear I've seen towns laid out just like that in my job (we use Google Maps a lot to get our techs to the right place). A great start!

Thanks guys...I've applied some different brushes to the roads and such and added some land features...my eyes are crosseyed from fixing all the roads...lol I'm going to throw this into Photoshop for some final tweaks and labeling...any suggestions before I take it out of Illistrator?

Oh and if you're thinking that it looks like Google Maps, it does...I wanted a nice, clean style for when I label it. I may add some other features, but for now, this is the style.

Name:	Noah Town Outline-01-01-01.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	710.8 KB 
ID:	35321  
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It really looks great. I am a big fan of town and city maps (although I have never tried a "modern" style as I like my twisty dark alleys too much) This is very clean and efficient. Great work.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Nice :3 Very clean and very.. Realistic.

Wow, it's been a while since I posted on this thread. I was going through some rough times and had to pawn a few things, lappy here included, but am now on stable ground again and anxious to get back to work on this map. So anyways this is the latest version of the map that I have, but due to some backstory issues, I need to add a waterfall and at least a small mountain. I was thinking of putting it upin the top left corner and I'm wondering how that might affect what I currently have there with the lakes and such. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Name:	Noah Town Outlined 1 inch=1000ft.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	42179  

The layout reminds me a bit of Davis, Ca, mostly in the highway positioning.