Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nothing Special - Any Corrections?

No replies? oO

I think your mountains look great!

Are you going to add trees in places?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    I think your mountains look great!

Are you going to add trees in places?
    Yes. I am going to add trees in place. I'm just checking with some basic atlas maps to confirm that forests may appear in places that I want them to...

-
    Mannfred

Guild Apprentice

I think it has potential. The mountains look very good. I also like the coloring and the water on the coast.

What about adding some kind of texture onto the land mass? Its looking too flat and ... artificial.

Your rivers are not that well placed. Most of them should start in mountains and water doesnt flow up, so they wouldn't go up a mountain like they do sometimes in your map, e.g. the two rivers in the north-east, but they would rather avoid them and change their directions.

Why is there a red outline at the coastlines?

Other than that, its looking good already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sel93 View Post
    What about adding some kind of texture onto the land mass? Its looking too flat and ... artificial.
    I told you already. I've hidden the landmass layer and the texture layer in the PSD to continue working on the mountains till I'm satisfied with them.

Your rivers are not that well placed. Most of them should start in mountains and water doesnt flow up, so they wouldn't go up a mountain like they do sometimes in your map, e.g. the two rivers in the north-east, but they would rather avoid them and change their directions.
    Thanks for pointing out, I'll change 'em. I drew the rivers first and then changed the mountain layer so much that I forgot to make the changes in the rivers... I'm looking for a good different style to draw them as they look like sketch lines to me in that image...

Why is there a red outline at the coastlines?
    Damn! Those are unintended pixelation marks over there... Must have happened when I was adding that noise for the Hills layer. Thanks. I'll remove them.

-
    Mannfred
    Last edited by Mannfred; 04-26-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added a few more words. :P

Here is a little revision of my map again. It has the all new landmass layer revealed and the landmass has been modified to include the sand dunes from the desert and the wind and clouds over the other regions of the land.

There is an indication of a dark and (hopefully) ominous looking cloud over the land of Morganol as it is the city where the gate to the Warren of Chaos is present.

Flame me if you don't like it! I'll change it. I'm having so much fun learning Photoshop and learning it in a way that does not bore me out of my wits...

-
    Mannfred
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gemretoronv2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	35391  
    Last edited by Mannfred; 04-26-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Wrong image uploaded. Ooops, typos...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good. The "cloud" effect is nice as well. You might try a bump map on your basic land texture to give it a little life. All in all very good work .
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    You might try a bump map on your basic land texture to give it a little life.
    Umm, sorry for being a noob. But, what is a bump map?

-
    Mannfred

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mannfred View Post
    Umm, sorry for being a noob. But, what is a bump map?

-
    Mannfred
    Don't apologize that was my mistake. A bump map is a filter that applies varying amounts of shading to an area to make it look less "flat" (I'm sure there is a much more technical explanation of it but that will do for our purposes. I'm not 100% sure in Photoshop but you should have the option to use a bump map filter in your layer styles.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks. I'll begin working on it tonight after I finish my final semester exam...

I am trying to create a trees layer as of now. This bump map layer will be below that layer I guess. Will post the work soon enough. Thanks for explaining.

-
    Mannfred

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast