Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nothing Special - Any Corrections?

Wip Nothing Special - Any Corrections?

Hello Everyone,
    This is Mannfred from India. I am working on a map for my Epic Fantasy novel. And so far, I have this. Any suggestions to improve it? I am satisfied with it as I made it in just two days. If you find any glaring mistakes or mis matched landscapes, let me know so that I can correct it. I took a photo with my mobile and selected the outline with the marquee tool, copy pasted it in a new layer and then filled it with a solid black to get my continent's outline. Also, the rivers, I'm not sure if they are going the way they should. I did what I can to remember the past I found in tutorials about the rivers while drawing them.

After this map, I have two more continents and several City maps to draw. Going to learn and stay in this forum for a while.

Thanks for any replies.

-
    Mannfred
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gemretoron.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	35324  
    Last edited by Mannfred; 04-24-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Changed image...

I would like to see better indications of mountains as I have a hard time seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    I would like to see better indications of mountains as I have a hard time seeing them.
    I really have no idea to make my mountains look alive... I tried making them more prominent and uploaded the NEW image above. But, as you can probably see, I pixelated it a bit too much. I'm a noob to both Photoshop and map making. Any pointers would be welcome...

Thanks.

-
    Mannfred

I'm not one of the best person to ask.. But, you could add a harsher texture and maybe have a slight belevel with a soft brush over? But, as I said i'm not the person to ask. There are a lot of tutorials though about it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There are various tutorials on different styles of mountains in the tutorial forum. You might want to take a look thru those.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks. I'm looking into one now...

-
    Mannfred

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This really looks great. I especially like your landmass textures. The rivers look good to me (although I am no expert on that subject). You might consider changing the font on your labels or making them bigger. Fancy fonts get very difficult to read when they are too small. All in all a great piece. Keep up the good work.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I really like it!

The mountains are a pain to see, though. It's not that big a deal - probably easy to fix. Good luck!

Thanks

I'm working on the mountains right now... I read some very nice tutorials yesterday and learnt many new things. I have them in a separate layer. So, I guess editing them would be easy enough.

-
    Mannfred

Wip

I'm not sure if this is fine or not but this is what I've managed so far... I'm not able to get that perfect mountain-ish look... What am I missing here?

Can anyone point it out? I've tried a little noice and clouds for the Hills layer and a Bevel and Difference Clouds for the Mountains layer... Point me in the right direction here please...

NOTE: I'm only working and SHOWING the mountains. The segmentation and landmass layers are HIDDEN. So, they won't show up the land will be plain in many places. After I finish with the mounts, I'll include them in it...

Thanks.

-
    Mannfred
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gemretoronv2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	35370  
    Last edited by Mannfred; 04-26-2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Added NOTE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast